More SEAL Jackets

doyler

Hi Michal,

I found one more pic. but the quality is poor.

The guy on the right is wearing a suspect vest as well!?

MF

Mike Force: Thank you for this photo.I Have a small one. I Think, this is Stoner vest,but it can't see well whole vest.Looks like custom vest from survival jacket to me too.

Michal

post-4070-1227791788.jpg

stonermachinegunner

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot.This is very interesting pic. I have it at the same poor quality. But there is perfect example of SEAL equipment. Blue/gold T-Shirt, AK chest pouch,Stoner Mk23 without front sight,Stoner vest.....Nice,very Nice..I love SEALs in Vietnam more and more with every new pic....:-)

Thanks

Michal

Michal,

There is a SEAL picture thread also:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

Take a look!

All the best

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot.This is very interesting pic. I have it at the same poor quality. But there is perfect example of SEAL equipment. Blue/gold T-Shirt, AK chest pouch,Stoner Mk23 without front sight,Stoner vest.....Nice,very Nice..I love SEALs in Vietnam more and more with every new pic....:-)

Thanks

Michal

stonermachinegunner

Hi Mike

Thank you for link.

Very nice pictures....I can see few pics from our webpages:-)). We copied them from magazines my team owned. One is from Thailand and another one from Greece.Not perfect for read :-)),but nice pics.

This vest in the picture in post 49 isn't a modified survival vest. It's custom made. I have large copy of this pic and from what I can tell, it looks like it's made from canvas, like the kinda they make duffle bags out of. That is probably the vest Darryl Young talks about since that picture is part of a bunch of pics of Juliett platoon though that picture isn't of Darryl.

Spike beat me too it.There were a lot of custom vests made and used.Some from canvas,some using the old style C-1 AAF survival vest or M79 grenede vest as a base or pattern.I met a Special Forces vet in Texas and he told me he took two pair of jungle fatigue trousers to a tailor and had a vest made to carry magazines and canteens.He had them put a zipper in it and also snaps or toggle closures on the pockets.

RON

stonermachinegunner

doyler,spike,Mike Force: Gentlemen,thank you for your information.You've helped me very much.If I can buy few stoner 110 rds ammo boxes I will create my own custom Stoner vest. I believe SEALs have dozens variants these custom vests,jackets atc..I believe,numbers of them we will never see on pics.

• 1 month later...
Spike and Copran,

Thanks for the additional comments.I have a couple other Smith items with odd name tags on shirts and trousers,one plain shirt that has a some what of a black dyed look to it.Very subtle and not worn.Some of his stuff has ink markings of his name on the labels,I also have a hand full of his ribbons and a SEAL badge and a odd camo sleeping bag cover made from a cargo chute.I posted a diving belt weight he used in a WW2 first aid pouch.

I was able to buy this stuff from Hayes O as he had quite a stock of Smiths items.Hayes has been a great friend over the years and he told me he was buying this stuff by the car trunk full as he knew Smith and he had acumulated a lot of stuff during his career.Hayes said once Smith had came to a show and had over 5,000 issue rifle targets(if I remember correctly)I was a little late on getting some of the other items uniform wise as they were sold and some were better patched out.I do remember being at a show a few years ago and a guy from Missouri had a set of ERDL camos,coral boots and a blue wool jumper named to Smith.The jumper had to be early as it was only a 1st or 2nd class PO and had a divers helmet spec patch on the right sleeve with UDT under the helmet.Looked legit as the markings in the clothes were like ones I have seen.I passed on the set.Was to much money and heard later the guy got rid of it for a lot less.

RON

Ron,

Just stumbled onto your interesting post. I know a few collectors that have Gary R Smith items. He did multiple tours and he obviously was a pack rat. The Smith group you mention sounds like one I've had for approximately 10 years consisting of:

1. ERDL boonie

2. Vn dated coral booties

3. Wool Navy jumper and trousers

4. Short sleeve badged OD jungle jacket

5. OD jungle pants w/ name tape

6. ERDL jacket w/ name tape only

The jumper had Smith's ASN which I was able to verify. Over the years, I've found other Smith items to add to the collection. There are certainly pieces floating around out there.

The insignia on your jackets are spot on with the Smith examples in my collection.

post-235-1230944989.jpg

If anybody is interested I have a PDF copy of the manufacturing instructions/specs with some detailed drawings from

the DOD for the Float Coats. PM me with an email address and I will send them along ASAP.

post-342-1227682113.jpg

Hey doyler, i have a question please.. How to attached first aid kit in back of shoulder? only with parachute cord? and the upper of kit into a velcro? is a big doubt for me, i look several seal jackets but i don't understanding

Pic:

mitchellpatternsealvested2.jpg

post-342-1227682113.jpg

Hey doyler, i have a question please.. How to attached first aid kit in back of shoulder? only with parachute cord? and the upper of kit into a velcro? is a big doubt for me, i look several seal jackets but i don't understanding

Pic:

mitchellpatternsealvested2.jpg

Hi Tigerman,

Just read the attached photo and you wiil find the way.

And thanks for promoting my Mitchell Pattern vest,

If you need more photos, please let me know,

or you can visit:

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/mimurayoko

Birdie

post-2902-1231363125.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance that this auction Tiger Shirt (270331530147) is from Mr SMITH ?

Thanks

Ron,

Just stumbled onto your interesting post. I know a few collectors that have Gary R Smith items. He did multiple tours and he obviously was a pack rat. The Smith group you mention sounds like one I've had for approximately 10 years consisting of:

1. ERDL boonie

2. Vn dated coral booties

3. Wool Navy jumper and trousers

4. Short sleeve badged OD jungle jacket

5. OD jungle pants w/ name tape

6. ERDL jacket w/ name tape only

The jumper had Smith's ASN which I was able to verify. Over the years, I've found other Smith items to add to the collection. There are certainly pieces floating around out there.

The insignia on your jackets are spot on with the Smith examples in my collection.

Is there any chance that this auction Tiger Shirt (270331530147) is from Mr SMITH ?

Thanks

It may be possible that the shirt was his but I am skeptical.I dont remember many tiger pieces coming out of the groupings of stuff I have encountered.Also the source say obtained from a SEAL Collector in Texas.If its NOVPLATOON(cant remember his ebay handle correctly)he has sold some questionable and put together items.

RON

It may be possible that the shirt was his but I am skeptical.I dont remember many tiger pieces coming out of the groupings of stuff I have encountered.Also the source say obtained from a SEAL Collector in Texas.If its NOVPLATOON(cant remember his ebay handle correctly)he has sold some questionable and put together items.

RON

I will say that this NOVPLATOON does have alot of authentic nam era seal items in his collection and he also owns several original items belonging to G.R. Smith includeing original uniforms, id cards, footlocker stencil, and a awesome looking viet-made seal team 1 patch that came with the id cards and several od and eerdl uniforms. i know that he purchased quite a bit of smith items from Hayes O. back in the early to mid 90s. also a earlier posting by HBT showing his items from Smith came from NOVPLATOON many years ago.

I'm kinda skeptical about this tiger shirt, there are a ton of Smith attributed uniforms floating around in several collections, guess it coulda been one of his but with a name like Smith, it would be an easy uniform to put together.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...