More SEAL Jackets

doyler

Here are a few pics of SEAL float coats.spikes previous posts motivated me to dig mine out.

First is a 1970 dated Grenadiers jacket with bladder.

post-342-1226635871.jpg

post-342-1226635932.jpg

Second is a 1970 dated Radiomans jacket,size med-reg.You can see in the second pic the opening for the radio.this jacket is missing the baldder.

post-342-1226636204.jpg

post-342-1226636268.jpg

Third is a Grenadiers jacket,no label but has the bladder.I have had this one for several years and I also have the ammo can it was brought back in.This jacket belonged to a man named Bratland.

I believe it to be an earlier model as the design of the pocket flaps are more like "fingers" than the other jackets posted with the angled pocket flaps.The pockets were originally a exposed button type closure and were modified by the original owner with a small glove snap.You can see the original button closure intact on the mag pockets on the sleeve.

post-342-1226636689.jpg

post-342-1226636716.jpg

When this jacket was first found it had several 20 round M16 mags in the short pockets.Also there was a 9mm pistol magazine in the shoulder pocket.I still have it and its for a S&W Model 39.

post-342-1226636965.jpg

This is a early poplin jungle jacket with the float collar as used by the SEALs.The collar is dated 1968 and marked US NAVY.

Thanks for looking.

RON

post-342-1226637139.jpg

Thanks Arch,

Pretty pale to all your Spec Ops stuff

RON

Ron,

Thanks for the compliment! I'd love to get my hands on a SEAL jacket, however they just seem to be out of range for a poor college student! I keep hoping I'll walk into a surplus shop and find one. So far, that hasn't happend!

Thanks for sharing.

I really like the "Bratland" coat. w00t.gif

Can we please see some more pics of it?

Thanks X

Will try to get some in better light in a day or two.If weather clears I may do one out side.

RON

This is a early poplin jungle jacket with the float collar as used by the SEALs.The collar is dated 1968 and marked US NAVY.

Thanks for looking.

RON

post-342-1226637139.jpg

Looks like the lower pocket flaps were sewn on backward ( right on left, left on right ) ?

Cracking collection thumbsup.gif

I impressed with your SEAL coats Ron, very nice. thumbsup.gif But the BRATLAND is just a killer piece.. ;)

I like that you fund it with all those M16 mags and that S&W 39 magazine still in the pockets. Just the condition I like uniforms to be in. Man if that coat could speak.

Super coat Ron. Thanks for sharing.

Martin

Third is a Grenadiers jacket,no label but has the bladder.I have had this one for several years and I also have the ammo can it was brought back in.This jacket belonged to a man named Bratland.

I believe it to be an earlier model as the design of the pocket flaps are more like "fingers" than the other jackets posted with the angled pocket flaps.The pockets were originally a exposed button type closure and were modified by the original owner with a small glove snap.You can see the original button closure intact on the mag pockets on the sleeve.

post-342-1226636689.jpg

post-342-1226636716.jpg

Dear Ron,

They are very nice jackets!

I attached 2 sketches to show the difference between the "Bratland" style and "Natick" style.

I could be wrong, but how to set the bladder in the "Bratland" jacket?

Birdie

post-2902-1226663315.jpg

post-2902-1226663332.jpg

Nokomo,Spike,Birdie and MrX,

Thanks for all the comments and I will try to get some other pics later after work.There is a story on the Bratland jaket and will post it later.It actually was given to me by a friends mother for my collection after he passed away.Had the jacket for a while and then went to visit her and found the bladder.I had the ammo can and mag for the S&W since I was a kid and first saw the jacket.The jacket was stored in the ammo can.

RON

I impressed with your SEAL coats Ron, very nice. thumbsup.gif But the BRATLAND is just a killer piece.. ;)

I like that you fund it with all those M16 mags and that S&W 39 magazine still in the pockets. Just the condition I like uniforms to be in. Man if that coat could speak.

Super coat Ron. Thanks for sharing.

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for looking and your intrest.Will try to post other shots of the early jacket.There was a label in the collar but long gone.

RON

I guess you'd be needing this for your radioman.....

post-532-1226701090.jpg

post-532-1226701109.jpg

Everyone seems to think the opening in the back is for the radio but I feel that, along with the missing inside ammo pockets on the shoulders, the radio was meant to be worn on the OUTSIDE of the jacket. When the bladder is inflated, the opening part of the badder would hopefully keep the radio out of the water while wearer is floating. I have always thought that this is the way it was designed.

Here is a jacket and trouser set from Gary Smith.I have a couple other pieces named to him but this is the only really badged out set.The collar has nice guy marks from pin back rank insignias and the left sleeve has an outline of a patch removed long ago.Dont know what the patch was but its shape is similiar to a 1st Infantry division.Wonder if it was some sort of naval Advisory group patch??

Comments welcomed

RON

post-342-1226721341.jpg

post-342-1226721634.jpg

post-342-1226721525.jpg

I guess you'd be needing this for your radioman.....

post-532-1226701090.jpg

post-532-1226701109.jpg

Everyone seems to think the opening in the back is for the radio but I feel that, along with the missing inside ammo pockets on the shoulders, the radio was meant to be worn on the OUTSIDE of the jacket. When the bladder is inflated, the opening part of the badder would hopefully keep the radio out of the water while wearer is floating. I have always thought that this is the way it was designed.

Dear Spike,

Your are always right, the radio should be outside the jacket or it will very hard to load.

And, Thanks for your comments.

Birdie

post-2902-1226728641.jpg

post-2902-1226729073.jpg

Another remarkable collection!

Thanks for taking the time to post these examples, it is a pleasure to see things i generally would have little chance of seeing on my side of the ocean.

Patrick.

vintageproductions
Another remarkable collection!

Thanks for taking the time to post these examples, it is a pleasure to see things i generally would have little chance of seeing on my side of the ocean.

Patrick.

Patrick, funny thing is one of the first SEAL coats I ever bought was out of the Camden Passage militray show, back in the late 80's.

Bob