medic helmet

currahee1942

hi

I bought this helmet and i think it is original. But what are your thoughts ?

And who would have use this ?

Thanks

https://postimg.org/image/x1yvmz3it/

https://postimg.org/image/x1yvmziyd/

https://postimg.org/image/vmxay9a5h/

https://postimg.org/image/j8aixwg2d/

https://postimg.org/image/aq12tju45/

https://postimg.org/image/g1fzeairp/

https://postimg.org/image/ge7dkgllx/

https://postimg.org/image/3pd30exdh/

post-159982-0-15731100-1516121463_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum ,

I believe this helmet has come from the seller Italian War front if Im not mistaken.

I am not a fan of this helmet or its markings , IMHO the insignia looks burnt and artificially aged. Almost like the insignia was one piece . Also I dont see any ghosting of where the insignia has sat for 70 plus years and then started to come away.

Im also guessing there is no chinstraps either ,

This in my opinion is not an original period piece and in my opinion has been aged down using chemicals and heat.

This is my opinion , others will chime in soon maybe with a different opinion on it

Best

D.C

The paint on the insignia has been heated, faker's trick to simulate being used for heating water. Sadly, the only areas here that appear heated look to be the insignia. Also the olive drab looks very candy apple.

At a closer look you can see on the top of the white Rondel there is still some black burn on it. And above that is a heat blister caused by a flame Torch.

At the bottom the chevrons have also had a flame passed over it causing an uneven burn pattern. The paint has been heated so fast that its literally crisped up.

Now you could say that the helmet has actually been in a fire ! But the heat from a fire is different from heat coming from a direct source I.e flame bar , flame torch.

Thus in my opinion its been aged up using one of these ageing processes

D.C

stealthytyler

I agree with the above posters. Looks to be intentionally distressed. I personally would stay clear of it... but like everything, you never know!

ITALIANWARFRONT

this helmet came out with many other I'm listing on eBay from a storage closed for at least 30 years not sure anyone "burned" this intentionally and cannot ask the former owner since was long death.

I have few German helmets vet bring back in my collection with burn stains probably picked up next burning vehicles or buildings.

Here is the link of the listing so you can see better pictures.

Giorgio

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-M1-HELMET-FIXED-BALES-PAINTED-PANEL-RED-CROSS-MEDIC-U-S-ARMY-MARINES-NAVY/122898527303?hash=item1c9d52b447:g:avEAAOSwndZaT9P0

lost-and-found-history

This could also be a faux wall finish or antique furniture finishing trick. In order to achieve the look of old crackled and peeling paint, a two part process is used. First, the clear crackle compound is applied, and left to dry until just tacky to the touch, then the paint is applied and a chemical reaction takes place, leaving an old world, crackled texture. When the clear crackle compound is applied too thickly, the results are huge cracks as you might see here...too little and the cracks are very fine and close together, almost like shattered tempered glass. That being said, the caveat is, why would someone go to such great lengths to fake such an obscure piece? The other possible explanation is, is that this is a legitimate foreign helmet that looks like doo-doo! Whether a chemical compound or burnt paint, either way, this one is suspect IMO.

Hi,

Given the position of the rank and the way the panel looks, this helmet doesn't remind me of a particular faker.

After what happened with Kashetta I've noticed some serious overthinking and helmets being flagged when in all earnesty they deserve the benefit of the doubt, or at least better reviews.

If you ask me the panel wasn't painted on but was glued on. The weird candy color you are seeing seems to be transparent or sticky greenish residue altering the way the OD beneath appears. To my knowledge no known faker has attempted this, let alone in that manner.

I think the small red cross panel is of a different material that is easily damaged. I would say it's most likely a type of paper panel or the likes that was applied to save the trouble of painting a panel.

Of course, I could be wrong, but this is just my two cents.

Cheers

Hi,

Given the position of the rank and the way the panel looks, this helmet doesn't remind me of a particular faker.

After what happened with Kashetta I've noticed some serious overthinking and helmets being flagged when in all earnesty they deserve the benefit of the doubt, or at least better reviews.

If you ask me the panel wasn't painted on but was glued on. The weird candy color you are seeing seems to be transparent or sticky greenish residue altering the way the OD beneath appears. To my knowledge no known faker has attempted this, let alone in that manner.

I think the small red cross panel is of a different material that is easily damaged. I would say it's most likely a type of paper panel or the likes that was applied to save the trouble of painting a panel.

Of course, I could be wrong, but this is just my two cents.

Cheers

Hi Ken

Decal or not the insignia has been heated up at some point creating paint blisters due to the heat , it can be seen all around the insignia and nowhere else. For me thats a red flag straight off the bat.

I agree that after Jamie Kashetta we are putting everything under the microscope , but thats a good thing.

As being one of the people left out to dry by Jamie , 2.5k lost and not paid back Im glad people are picking through these M1s with a fine tooth comb and adding there opinions and expertise.

Bringing jamie Kashetta to light will now hopefully save many collectors the pain and loss of there hard earned cash.

Best

D.C

Hi Ken

Decal or not the insignia has been heated up at some point creating paint blisters due to the heat , it can be seen all around the insignia and nowhere else. For me thats a red flag straight off the bat.

I agree that after Jamie Kashetta we are putting everything under the microscope , but thats a good thing.

As being one of the people left out to dry by Jamie , 2.5k lost and not paid back Im glad people are picking through these M1s with a fine tooth comb and adding there opinions and expertise.

Bringing jamie Kashetta to light will now hopefully save many collectors the pain and loss of there hard earned cash.

Best

D.C

I totally understand you Dean, it's become necessary to be skeptical when collecting ww2 M1 helmets.

Nevertheless, it would be a shame if real helmets were passed on simply because they remind of techniques fakers have used.

I totally agree that this helmet could have been in a fire, but the question you need to ask is whether it was in a real or purposed fire. Not sure what you are referring to with blisters but I assume you are talking about the burn holes where the paint came off? If so, would you agree that these spots have rusted? To me the rust in there looks o.k., which is one of the reasons I wouldn't just flag this helmet straight off the bat. A recent heating job would require articial rusting of those spots or would likely result in either bare or blackened steel. If you've ever stripped a helmet you know that original, uncovered WW2 M1 helmet steel isn't going to appear rusty (at all).

Another thing I really do like is the pattern in which the corking under the panel has faded. No matter the argument, 10 minutes and a torch isn't going to pull this off. Only the combination of time and nature is capable of eroding material in such a way.

Besides, if let's say a faker did use heating techniques to age the helmet, he did a pretty bad job at matching the rank and panel. All of these things considered, plus the way in which the panel was applied, I'd say the helmet stands a fair chance. To me it's just really unlikely that any faker would handle a project like this. Especially the position of the rank and the way in which the panel was applied seem like a very odd thing for a faker to attempt. Yes, I have to admit that they are coming up with very original ways of replicating and aging helmets and that they are getting pretty good at it, but I just don't recognize the style.

Can't really add more to this, other than the fact that I know OP, that he's been on the lookout for an affordable original medic helmet for years and that I advised him in taking a well considered risk on this one.

If it does indeed turn out to be a fake, then it simply is and no amount of wishful thinking on the part of OP is going to change that. Rest assured that if I've learned anything in all these years of collecting, it's that hoping, wishing and dreaming has no place in collecting historical helmets. If any unmistakable evidence goes against this helmet I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong.

Cheers

I totally understand you Dean, it's become necessary to be skeptical when collecting ww2 M1 helmets.

Nevertheless, it would be a shame if real helmets were passed on simply because they remind of techniques fakers have used.

I totally agree that this helmet could have been in a fire, but the question you need to ask is whether it was in a real or purposed fire. Not sure what you are referring to with blisters but I assume you are talking about the burn holes where the paint came off? If so, would you agree that these spots have rusted? To me the rust in there looks o.k., which is one of the reasons I wouldn't just flag this helmet straight off the bat. A recent heating job would require articial rusting of those spots or would likely result in either bare or blackened steel. If you've ever stripped a helmet you know that original, uncovered WW2 M1 helmet steel isn't going to appear rusty (at all).

Another thing I really do like is the pattern in which the corking under the panel has faded. No matter the argument, 10 minutes and a torch isn't going to pull this off. Only the combination of time and nature is capable of eroding material in such a way.

Besides, if let's say a faker did use heating techniques to age the helmet, he did a pretty bad job at matching the rank and panel. All of these things considered, plus the way in which the panel was applied, I'd say the helmet stands a fair chance. To me it's just really unlikely that any faker would handle a project like this. Especially the position of the rank and the way in which the panel was applied seem like a very odd thing for a faker to attempt. Yes, I have to admit that they are coming up with very original ways of replicating and aging helmets and that they are getting pretty good at it, but I just don't recognize the style.

Can't really add more to this, other than the fact that I know OP, that he's been on the lookout for an affordable original medic helmet for years and that I advised him in taking a well considered risk on this one.

If it does indeed turn out to be a fake, then it simply is and no amount of wishful thinking on the part of OP is going to change that. Rest assured that if I've learned anything in all these years of collecting, it's that hoping, wishing and dreaming has no place in collecting historical helmets. If any unmistakable evidence goes against this helmet I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong.

Cheers

Ken you make some very interesting points on this helmet , and can also see from your points here that they could also be a possibility.

I hope the helmet is good , I wish all of us to receive good items that we have paid with our hard earned cash and never want anyone getting burned.

Some excellent points for and against

Thanks Ken

Dean

I agree with many of the comments above and will avoid adding my opinion on fake or not, but I will say that I have an ID'd Navy MD's helmet from the PTO that has the same sort of green paint on it. It was overpainted but while still in use by the MD.