VC-12 DRAGONS? Fleet Composite Squadron One Two

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

(NOTE: I posted this on the USN Board - Naval Air Squadrons - Fixed Wing 'V' Squadrons, but I'm also positing it here for more exposure to solicit some information on the Dragons)

Here's an interesting one that requires more research

VC-12 Dragons, Fleet Composite Squadron One Two. They're usually knows as the Omars (A4 Skyhawks http://a4skyhawk.inf...ticle-unit/vc12), but at one time they were the Dragons.

Anyone know when this was during their service history? The VP Navy site does list them as the Dragons, but gives no other detail as to when they were Drag-ons (towing targets) and when they became the Omars, either before or after their conversion to the first USNR Composite squadron. At one time they were also converted to a Carrier Early Warning squadron as noted on the VP site, then back to a composite squadron.

VC 12 DRAGONS 001.jpg

VC 12 DRAGONS 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This is their typical flying carpet patch we're more familiar with.....

VC-12 FLYING OMARS Fleet Composite Squadron One Two, Ace Novelty 1981

VC 12 Flying Omars Ace Novelty 1981 001.jpg

VC 12 Flying Omars Ace Novelty 1981 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

The bird (Loon) shown on the patch is from the comic strip Shoe which began in 1977.

Bingo! It was so familiar but I couldn't place it (even though I've read the strip now and then in years past) Although I can't find an example, It also explains the monogram initials on the Loon as depicted on the VC-12 patch. From the final appearance of The Loon.....

Loon has been a beloved character in this strip since it began in 1977, right up until today, when he was abruptly and violently eaten by a shark. We can still see the lower half of his mangled body in the final panel, though that too will presumably soon vanish to the shark’s gullet.
RIP
LOON
1977-2015

VC 12 DRAGONS 003.jpg