Need help on ID'ing this unknown beret flash

treesuit

Hello everyone,

I recently came across this unknown beret flash and I am having a hard time trying to nail down the unit. I have tried several google searches and all I can come up with is the fact that the red/white inner background is cavalry, the three notches would indicate a squadron, but what really throws the search off is the yellow thunderbolt in the middle and the thin blue border around the whole flash.

There are several cavalry units out there that have similar designs but nothing comes close to what I have. Or even what kind of beret this would go on. If anybody can help out it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

post-138122-0-02318300-1515993948_thumb.jpg

blkjack07,

Thanks for ID'ing the flash. It would make sense that it would be a unit out of JBLM, as I picked it up from a surplus shop near there.

Would this rate a standard black or maroon airborne beret? The 201st did have a "airborne" arc above its patch and a LRSU/LRSD unit assigned to it. As I stated above I would like to restore this but I would like to know which beret it coincides with.

C Co of the 3rd Squadron was LRS. Found a couple pics of them wearing the AIRBORNE tab above the brigade patch. Don't know if they still are - couldn't find them on the JBLM webpage. (I can't answer the beret question.)

post-8076-0-30645800-1516051157_thumb.jpg

post-8076-0-98176000-1516051171_thumb.jpg

WAAAY back when ... circa 1989 - 90 ... I was in the 201st when it was called the 201st Military Intelligence Brigade (CEWI.) (CEWI: Combat Electronic Warfare and Intelligence.)

When I was in the 201st had 4 subordinate battalions: The 14th MI Battalion (Tactical Exploitation) and the 501st (Operations) were active duty and stationed at Fort Lewis. The 501st included all of the personnel who worked in intelligence at I Corps HQ, also at Fort Lewis.

There was also the 641st Aerial Exploitation battalion which was part of the Oregon National Guard but under wartime conditions would have been part of the 201st. There was also one more TE battlion that was a USAR unit but I can't remember the designation of that unit off the top of my head. I seem to recall they were based out of California.

Anyway, at the time the LRSU (Long Range Surveillance Unit) idea was being resurrected and I do recall that we had a LRS Company as part of the 14th MI Battalion. The LRS Companies were all supposed to be airborne qualified and on jump status so the airborne tab over the 201st MI patch would have been correct.

MartinJumpr,

Yes, I seem to recall that, when I was stationed at JBLM back in 2007, the 201st BfSB was around post at that time and the unit did have a Airborne Arc above the patch. My new question is if you are assigned as a 11X in a LRSU/LRSD and are on jump status you are authorized to wear the maroon beret and not the Army wide black beret. At least that is how I interpret the AR 670-1 regulation.

As of now I can not confirm that the 201st BfSB is still around or has a LRSU/LRSD. I'm hesitant to go with what Wikipedia says.

MartinJumpr,

Yes, I seem to recall that, when I was stationed at JBLM back in 2007, the 201st BfSB was around post at that time and the unit did have a Airborne Arc above the patch.  My new question is if you are assigned as a 11X in a LRSU/LRSD and are on jump status you are authorized to wear the maroon beret and not the Army wide black beret.  At least that is how I interpret the AR 670-1 regulation. 

As of now I can not confirm that the 201st BfSB is still around or has a LRSU/LRSD. I'm hesitant to go with what Wikipedia says. 

If they’re actually on jump status (as indicated by the airborne tab) then they should wear the maroon beret. They should also wear bloused jump boots with their class A and B uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Here is an update or a follow on for everyone,

I visited the JBLM area again this weekend and found two more beret flashes, both of which were free for the asking. I have identified both from a Wikipedia search but I need to know which color of berets these would go with. I. E. black, maroon, green, tan, etc

The one on the left is for the Joint Readiness Training Center Operations Group out of Ft. Polk, LA. The one on the right is for the 1st Special Warfare Training Group out of Ft. Benning.

Also I would like to find out which pin on DUI is correct for each flash.

Thanks

post-138122-0-25591300-1520896560_thumb.jpg

Good morning. 1st SWTG is based at Ft. Bragg. I was assigned there 03-06 as the Marine LNO. I never saw anyone not wearing a green or red beret. There are those who can speak more on 1st SWTG but basically the instructors were SF and the support personnel were airborne qualified. I'm sure there were exceptions.

JRTC flash would be worn on a maroon beret, I believe, as the cadre there were (theoretically at least) in an airborne unit (I think it was the 509th PIR.)

As for the 1SWTG flash, Bagman is correct, 1SWTG is at Bragg, not Benning. And the color of beret would depend on whether the soldier was SF qualified or not. SF qualified: Green beret, non-SF qualified: Maroon beret.

It's also possible - but not likely - that a soldier could wear the tan (Ranger) beret with that flash.

The rule in USASOC (Army Special Operations Command) starting 1 January 1993 was that if you had actually passed RIP/ROP/RASP (Ranger Indoctrination Program/Ranger Orientation Program/Ranger Assessment and Selection Program) and had been assigned to a Ranger unit (either the 75th Ranger Regiment or the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Ranger battalions) then you could, at your option, wear the Ranger beret.

It's important to note that most people who earn the Ranger tab are never assigned to a Ranger battalion or regiment. It's also important to note that not everybody in a Ranger battalion or Regiment gets tabbed.

But everyone who goes into a Ranger unit is supposed to go through RIP/ROP/RASP before being allowed into the unit and once they are in the unit they are considered to be a "RANGER" whether they are tabbed or not.

In the Rangers they have a saying: "The Ranger TAB is a school. The Ranger SCROLL [i.e. the SSI] is a way of life."

FWIW I never saw anybody wear one but IIRC it was authorized.

MartinJmpr,

Thanks for all the info, I gathered the SWTG might have been a green beret or maroon depending on the status of the person. Does anybody have images what DUI crest would go with each flash? I figure SWTG would be a SF crest but what about JRTC? Thoughts?

MartinJmpr,

Thanks for all the info, I gathered the SWTG might have been a green beret or maroon depending on the status of the person.  Does anybody have images what DUI crest would go with each flash?  I figure SWTG would be a SF crest but what about JRTC?  Thoughts?

No I think JFKSWCS had their own crest . I’ll have to search for it but it’s not the SF crest.

Not sure about JRTC. Maybe the 509th “gingerbread man?”

Sorry for the acronyms (bad habit.). JFKSWCS = John F Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School.

When I was in it was usually just called âSwicâ

MartinJmpr,

Nice work for finding that bit of info. The JFKSPECWAR DUI does look like it would be appropriate since it is and was a school. From your previous post on the JRTC, I tried tracking down anything on the 'Web for a 509th PIR beret DUI and have had no luck. Did a DUI exist at one point?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I found two more beret flashes at a gun show today and once again I am at loss for finding any information, but I do know one of them. The on one the right is for the 6th Engineer Battalion, but the other is a mystery.

I have tried Google and looked around for Army beret flashes but Wikipedia is not that good. Can anybody tell me more on the 6th Engineer Battalion, if they ever wore a different color beret than black? Also does anybody recognize the other one?

Many thanks in advance.

post-138122-0-75031300-1523761911_thumb.jpg

on left is 6th Engineer Bn,( perhaps they wore a Maroon Beret) on right is 20th attack Aviation Bn, also I have seen it id'd as 82nd Aviation Regiment 1 Bn

Matmail,

Thanks for the help on these.

For aviation battalions do some personnel get to wear the maroon beret and the rest black? Seeing as how its with the 82nd I am guessing they do since the division is considered "airborne" but not everybody is airborne qualified within the division and since it is aviation that really is a bit confusing.