SEAL patched DCU?

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

I picked up this DCU top at a swapmeet today. There was another top patched exactly like this, but in desert MARPAT; however I didn't buy that one. What this rambling is getting at is my question: does this appear to be an actual SEAL-used jacket? I'm not too familiar with SEAL apparel. It is not an issue top, rather, it is Tru-Spec brand (as was the other I left behind). The name and branch tapes seem to have been attached at a different time than the SEAL and Para patches; tapes are done in tan thread, the patches in black thread. Is this just a put-together?

post-153911-0-10753000-1515988323.jpg

post-153911-0-40690600-1515988334.jpg

I really don't want to ever say never but I have never come across what I felt was an original DCU Seal uniform with both a Trident and a USN/USMC paratrooper wing together as the paratrooper wing is redundant. I believe you are correct in your suspicions that they were added afterward based on the different stitching and the lack of puckering of the material on the reverse which I believe indicates it hasn't been on the uniform for very long. Plus I would think the paratrooper wing would have been sewn somewhere below the Trident and probably on the pocket flap to be more convincing. You also have to wonder why the USN and NAME tape are embroidered in black instead of the spice brown thread of the Trident and paratrooper wing.

milsurp_scout_14

I see. Wasn't too sure, but at least it was cheap. I think the name tapes are 'original' to the jacket, but it seems weird that any sailor would use Tru-Spec for a uniform, so maybe not. Probably a Halloween getup. Thanks for the confirmation!

I see. Wasn't too sure, but at least it was cheap. I think the name tapes are 'original' to the jacket, but it seems weird that any sailor would use Tru-Spec for a uniform, so maybe not. Probably a Halloween getup. Thanks for the confirmation!

I've had legitimate Tru-Spec BDU/DCU's that have been used. So it's not that weird that Tru-Spec uniforms are out there, IIRC there was a legitimate Government contract with Tru-Spec.

However this DCU doesn't seem right.

I agree with Ewart. I also have had issue Tru Spec and Propper DCUs. If you are interested, I have 2 modified DCU tops ( one made by Proper) that I'd be willing to part with. I collect Vietnam era stuff, so they don't belong in my collection. PM me if interested

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I also have a couple of propper NSW modded DCUs, so it being tru-spec is not an issue IMO. Still don't like it.