Helmets and Knots

ken1967

I thought I would share my IW helmet and knot collection with the group. I have to admit that I have a special place in my heart for those knots!

post-79-0-34542500-1515965556_thumb.jpg

Those are really great helmets and shoulder boards. I hope there will be more of them shown on this site. Thanks for sharing.

I see in the background of your photo that you have uniforms from around 1885. Would you happen to have a Post Quartermaster uniform picture you could share? Feel free to PM me if you don't want it on this thread. Thanks!

Beautiful collection and I love the way the are displayed.

Thanks! You might recognize the 1st Inf officer's helmet displayed there. I got it from Rob Kay. I think it was one of yours maybe? A lovely helmet.

Correct! It was one of the helmets out of my collection. I am glad it found a great home. I needed to make room for my love of the 1902 era uniforms and headgear.

Correct! It was one of the helmets out of my collection. I am glad it found a great home. I needed to make room for my love of the 1902 era uniforms and headgear.

I have some 1902 uniforms and headgear as well. I'm trying to cap my range around the 1912 model items. PM me if you have some more of the earlier stuff that you might consider selling. Maybe I can help you feed your new direction. :)

I see in the background of your photo that you have uniforms from around 1885. Would you happen to have a Post Quartermaster uniform picture you could share? Feel free to PM me if you don't want it on this thread. Thanks!

I do have several 1885 period uniforms (some of my favorite uniforms). However, no Post Quartermasters in the bunch at this time. I'd definitely share some pics if I had one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
CWCollector

Very nice collection! I love how you have them displayed. I am trying to track down a set of artillery shoulder knots but they have been rather elusive for me for some reason. I want to finish my frock coat for display but I think I may end up buying reproductions until I can find an original pair.

They come up in spells. I had a very dry period before several showed up with reasonable prices. They've jumped on prices a bit from 5 years ago, but some still show up.

CWCollector

That's good to know. I haven't totally given up hope yet, I let a pair slip through my fingers on eBay and I've been kicking myself ever since. I'll keep you posted if/when I find a set.

CWCollector

Ok so I just got my first set of shoulder knots. These were sold to me with a frock coat (not too sure about the coat but that will be a different post). The seller said these were for the United Train Artillery, which is a Rhode Island unit. Let me know what you think. I'll stop hijacking your thread now, I just wanted to update you on my recent acquisition. :-)

post-181413-0-85626000-1528767848_thumb.jpg

post-181413-0-51434000-1528767867_thumb.jpg

They look like a decent set of paddles. The wool backing on the reverse looks gone from the pic. Is that a paper backing left? I'm not as familiar with the state unit insignia, but it isn't a federal pattern set, so it would be state or a school unit. Depending on your collecting focus, there are numerous variations of these shoulder paddles which can be a collecting theme all to themselves. Congrats on your first set!

CWCollector

The wool has been heavily devoured by moths, there is what appears to be a cardboard type material underneath. I thought they were cool so I went ahead and bought the set. I would prefer a set of federal knots but these will suffice for now. Thank you, I can see it becoming a mission to find a set for each branch.

• 1 year later...

Added an early set of the blue wool paddles for the 1st Inf Regt. Now I have a nice matched set for this regiment.

post-79-0-96215900-1578362339.jpg

post-79-0-13651500-1578362351.jpg