D-Day Relics (Point du Hoc & Omaha Beach)

jakelives

A collection of pictures I took at Pointe du Hoc and Omaha Beach in Normandy on June 2, 2015. Despite the abandoned appearance there was actually quite a few people around, but once I stepped away from the waterside path and bunkers then meandered around the more distant ones they thinned. The rest was just patience and waiting for people to clear my lens.

Great photo journey! Well done! I've been there twice. Nice to see it again. Thanks! Bobgee

P.S. Just finished reading the 2 Volume D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944

Gives a really interesting viewpoint of some of the German troops who experienced the Allied wrath raining down on them on 6 June 1944. Available on Amazon. Good historical read! Bob

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, just a really great, very historical site to visit. I was able to visit in 1993 and made some similar photos, but I think there are more people in my photos. Are there still the "international" symbols of a foot stepping on a mine to warn you of UXO there? If I remember correctly, inside the FO bunker, there was a bronze Tablet naming the Ranger KIA's on June 6. A recent visitor had added a wooden cross and a hand written and very touching note to his friends who didn't survive the day. I made a photo of it and have it somewhere, very touching. My wife didn't want to visit any more American Cemeteries after visiting the one in Normandy. I guess it might be interesting to note that I deployed for a year as an infantry Master Sergeant to Afghanistan in 2012. My wife wasn't thrilled about it, but did realize it was something I "had" to do! Not too sure my daughter understands why I did that and missed her High School Graduation and 1st year of collage. She probably never will, but, I came home to them pretty much un harmed.

BKW

Those signs are still there. I was surprised at just how much freedom I had to explore the old bunkers though, it felt like none where blocked off to keep people out.

I understand what you mean, I volunteered to go Iraq and spent most of 2008 there.