1902 - 1920 Army of the United States chevrons

hhbooker2

:blink: Number 372. Sergeant 1st Class, Transportation Corps.

Artillery First Sergeant (Number 311)

post-837-1231048022.jpg

:blink: Number 373. (Sergeant, Trandsportation Corps.

Infantry First Sergeant on blue background (Number 311). w00t.gif

post-837-1231048194.jpg

w00t.gif Number 240. Sergeant 1st Class, Signal Corps, 1902-1908. http://community.webshots.com/user/eneryhodge is one of four sites I have with webshots.com, that is my wife's maiden name, Enery Hodge, my other one is: http://community.webshots.com/user/hhbooker2, and have /user/hhbooker and /user/Clovis_Lee_Booker too, the name of my cat Clovis! Sometimes orange will look red if it is a darker orange and same for bright yellow on old black and white photographs appearing black or dark blue, like Colonel Theodore Roosevelt, his collar and shoulder straps were bright yellow on his khaki uniform that I saw on display in New York in 1958, believe it or not?

Hey Sarge, I was looking at Eneryhodge's albums and was wondering when did the Signals' chevron color change from orange to red?

Signals Sergeant (Red Chevrons)

post-837-1231048525.jpg

:( Number 396. Master Engineer Senior Grade, 1920, for Corps of Engineers, Transportation Corps, and Tank Corps.

post-837-1231063646.jpg

:) Number 397. Master Engineer Junior Grade, 1920, for Corps of Engineers and Transportation Corps, but NOT for the Tank Corps.

post-837-1231063703.jpg

think.gif Number 397 (another variation). Number 399. Quartermaster Sergeant Junior Grade, 1920, for QMC and Motor Transport Corps.

post-837-1231063979.jpg

post-837-1231064020.jpg

;) Number 398. Quartermaster Sergeant Senior Grade for QMC and Motor Transport Corps, 1920.

post-837-1231064327.jpg

:blink: Number 303. Battalion or Squadron Sergeant Major, all branches other than Coast Artillery Corps which would be Sergeant Major, Junior Grade, C.A.C., 1902-1920.

post-837-1231102942.jpg

:( Number 306. Battery, Company, or Troop Quartermaster Sergeant, 1902-1916; Supply Sergeant, 1916, 1918-1920.

post-837-1231103192.jpg

Salvage Sailor
w00t.gif Number 240. Sergeant 1st Class, Signal Corps, 1902-1908. http://community.webshots.com/user/eneryhodge is one of four sites I have with webshots.com, that is my wife's maiden name, Enery Hodge, my other one is: http://community.webshots.com/user/hhbooker2, and have /user/hhbooker and /user/Clovis_Lee_Booker too, the name of my cat Clovis! Sometimes orange will look red if it is a darker orange and same for bright yellow on old black and white photographs appearing black or dark blue, like Colonel Theodore Roosevelt, his collar and shoulder straps were bright yellow on his khaki uniform that I saw on display in New York in 1958, believe it or not?

Thanks for the explanation Sarge. I've always seen the Signals chevrons as orange (like the one I have) and not red. Red was always artillery (redlegs, cannon cockers, etc). Your comment is certainly true about the color variance in older photos. How many times have we opened an old box of polaroids or Kodachrome that we've shot years before and said to ourselves, 'the colors not right'

Using the newer digital images on this forum is a great reference tool for collectors to see the true colors and details in a piece.

Regards

:rolleyes: Number 312. Sergeant, Indian Scouts, 1902-1920.

Thanks for the explanation Sarge. I've always seen the Signals chevrons as orange (like the one I have) and not red. Red was always artillery (redlegs, cannon cockers, etc). Your comment is certainly true about the color variance in older photos. How many times have we opened an old box of polaroids or Kodachrome that we've shot years before and said to ourselves, 'the colors not right'

Using the newer digital images on this forum is a great reference tool for collectors to see the true colors and details in a piece.

Regards

SALVAGA SAILOR: Speaking of red used in chevrons, here is a very rare example of an Indian Scout's chevrons for a Sergeant, it is white with red chain-stitching! Here are three patches used for Cooks, one is white and red for Indian Scouts, an all-white one for the Infantry, and a red and white Engineers. Yes, any older colour photos from the 1940s and early 1950s do change colour, that is why they take old Hollywood motion picture colour films and re-master them to look right. I was a labouratory technician in a printing ink company in quality control and had to match colours, some men cannot do that type of employment as they do not see colour the same and there are a few who are "colour blind," sad to say! I worked there for four years. I used to also letter trucks and taxi-cabs as a signpainter, hated MAYFLOWER trucks as they were Kelly Green with red letters edged in yellow, and to mix aluminum paint with yellow as a first and second coat as the green showed through and the third coat in yellow did the trick. We used a pattern for the picture of the ship. Taxi cabs had to have sharply contrasting colours for the number and letters on them. When I was a graphic artist I illustrated in black and white as colour was too much to fool with and costly. I made well over 10,000 drawings of insignia drawn pften 400% larger than actual size, oddly enough few collectors requested the drawings except when I'd go to the insignia meetings and gave it to dealers to do whatever they wanted with it and it sold, but that was okay with me! Yes, the colour matching systems on the internet are just great to see what something really looked like. If you see B&W photographs taken in the 1940s and 1950s, you might think people dressed in drab colours, far from the truth, men's clothing was much more colorful than how, believe it or not? :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1231124063.jpg

post-837-1231124071.jpg

post-837-1231124106.jpg

post-837-1231124171.jpg