US Army M17A1 Helmet, 250th Coast Artillery

cmaher55

Yep, all good stuff....! Great history on the CA coast.... My Dad said he remembers hearing the guns go off for practice living in SF during the war... And I remember in the 1960's seeing the Nike Hercules missiles on the ridge above where I lived in Pacifica, ready to shoot down the Russian bombers.... Regards

http://www.militarymuseum.org/160IR.html

160th%20Inf.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

That is a great helmet! This is a photo of Capt. John Fick from the 250th Coast Artillery Camp McQuaide "yearbook" from 1941. He appears in the book on page 54 as John A. Fick while your helmet has a middle initial "H". I suspect a typo in the yearbook, which was not all that uncommon. When the book was published, he was assigned to HQ Battery, 2nd Battalion.

Tom

post-200450-0-61078600-1540593211_thumb.jpg

That is a great helmet! This is a photo of Capt. John Fick from the 250th Coast Artillery Camp McQuaide "yearbook" from 1941. He appears in the book on page 54 as John A. Fick while your helmet has a middle initial "H". I suspect a typo in the yearbook, which was not all that uncommon. When the book was published, he was assigned to HQ Battery, 2nd Battalion.

Tom

Sent you a PM

• 6 months later...

Just picked up this nice 250th belong to "2nd Lt. H.H. Cloud Jr." Any information on Cloud would be appreciated.

post-154058-0-21681400-1558899813_thumb.jpg

T Ambrosini

From the 1941 Camp McQuaide 250th yearbook (pg 37), 2Lt Howard H. Cloud Jr. was the supply officer, 2nd Bn, HQ battery. I'll post his picture after work tonight.

Nice lid, BTW!!!

Tom

From the 1941 Camp McQuaide 250th yearbook (pg 37), 2Lt Howard H. Cloud Jr. was the supply officer, 2nd Bn, HQ battery. I'll post his picture after work tonight.

Nice lid, BTW!!!

Tom

+1

Any pix of soldiers wearing these helmets?

Yes that's what I was thinking, if any photos in the 1941 Yearbook member has has the helmets being worn, maybe, lets see what member says.

T Ambrosini

2Lt Howard H. Cloud Jr. Unfortunately, I have no additional information on him at the moment

post-200450-0-80840100-1558983578.jpg

T Ambrosini

I looked through the yearbook and found only one photo of the helmets being worn. The soldier on the right appears to have the unit crest on his lid while the fellow on the left does not. They both look really thrilled to be riding their 155 GPF's in a rain storm...

Tom

post-200450-0-19841100-1558983935_thumb.jpg

T Ambrosini

Another interesting point: 2Lt Cloud would have been the supply officer under 2nd Bn commander, Capt. Fick, whose helmet also appears in this thread.

Tom

Just picked up this nice 250th belong to "2nd Lt. H.H. Cloud Jr." Any information on Cloud would be appreciated.

Hey repbrock, how, where, did you find this one....? Any history on it from the seller...? Very cool....! Thanks for reviving my thread with a twin of my own helmet....! Chris

It was originally sold on ebay some time back and I end up buying from the collector who bought it through ebay. Nothing more than that. Great helmet. www.50cac.com