1945 Willy's MB Project

tikifrei

Since I'm new here I thought I would post some info about my project. I purchased a basket case 1945 Willy's MB in 2007. I bought it from a member of G503 forum who wasn't interested in finishing it.

2007-6_jeep5.jpg

2007-6_jeep10.jpg

I began working on it slowly. I enrolled in an auto body class at a local community college since I don't have any experience doing this. There was a lot of work to do on the tub.

Getting to work on it

2008-9_033.jpg

Cutting out some rotten metal

2008-9_034.jpg

Made a patch panel and welded it in place

2008-10_Maggi_002.jpg

Most of the floor was in pretty bad shape

2008-10_Maggi_004.jpg

Drilled out spot welds to remove the old floor and weld in a new one

2008-10_Maggi_006.jpg

Well, the school decided to close the auto body shop about a year later so I lost that resource. After sitting idle for a while, by family and I got moved across the country....so we loaded the Jeep up and brought it with us on our new adventure.

2011-6_HB_jeep_6.jpg

The kids were a big help

2011-6_HB_move_jeep_kids_1.jpg

Getting it on the auto transport was a challenge. They were supposed to send a truck with a winch, but they didn't and well....the Jeep doesn't exactly move on its own yet.

2011-6_HB_move_cars_83.jpg

We hooked a tow strap to it and pulled it up with my other vehicle and somehow got it up there with out it falling off. Phew

Once across the country our rental had a 3/4 garage. Not much work was going to be happening in here.

2011-6_new_house_garage.jpg

Sadly the MB just sat. Fast forward about 6 year. The kids aren't so little anymore. My son is pestering my about when we are going to finish the Jeep so he can ride in it. I finally got the motivation to get this moving again. I saw that someone had a guy nearby do the body work on his military Jeep and the finished work looked great. I decided to take it up to him so that the body will be finished and then I can work on the rest.

Bob Foster is in Scranton PA and does an excellent job bringing these old Jeeps back to life.

The hat channels installed

Willy_s_Tub_7-17_2.jpg

Just hanging out

Willy_s_Tub_7-17_1.jpg

Getting her all patched up

Willy_s_Tub_8-17_10.jpg

Tool boxes needed repairing

Willy_s_Tub_8-17_6.jpg

Willy_s_Tub_8-17_9.jpg

Looking much better

Willy_s_Tub_8-17_5.jpg

Now getting her on the rotisserie

Willy_s_Tub_9-17_1.jpg

Wow....starting to really come together now.

Willy_s_Tub_9-17_3.jpg

Willy_s_Tub_10-17_1.jpg

All primed with red epoxy primer TM9

Willy_s_Tub_11-17_2.jpg

And finally after who knows how long. Back to wearing OD Green!

Willy_s_Tub_11-17_12.jpg

Willy_s_Tub_11-17_9.jpg

Willy_s_Tub_11-17_13.jpg

I will post updates as they come along. Right now I have the engine at the machine shop.....but nothing can be easy, they say the block seems to be beyond repair. So I am trying to chase down a replacement. When I get the body back I will finish up the frame.....hoping to get this finished before the kids are in college.

Can't wait to see it finished! I hope to own a military vehicle one day, but alas they seem to be very expensive, and require a bit more mechanical knowledge then I have!

Hunt

Jesse and his dad RIP restore WW2 aircraft radial engines.

Jesse started collecting at a young age and has quite a few vehicles and militaria.

General Apathy

Now getting her on the rotisserie

Wow....starting to really come together now.

All primed with red epoxy primer TM9

And finally after who knows how long. Back to wearing OD Green!

Willy_s_Tub_11-17_13.jpg

I will post updates as they come along. Right now I have the engine at the machine shop.....but nothing can be easy, they say the block seems to be beyond repair. So I am trying to chase down a replacement. When I get the body back I will finish up the frame.....hoping to get this finished before the kids are in college.

Hi Tikifrei, congratulations on bringing another Jeep hulk back to the world. . . . . .

Please don't be too fast in throwing away that old block that the garage said is beyond repair, it may just be beyond their capabilities. There are many talented people out there and you will meet them the longer you are in the Jeeping fraternity.

Cracked side-walls can be ' cold-stitched ', cracked distributer tubes can be relined with a piece of machined tubing and sealed at either end, worn out piston cylinders again can be sleeved with a lining and resized to piston sizes, and many other options. Even if you don't pursue rebuilding this particular block someone else somewhere might be willing to grab it for their project. it's amazing what Jeep parts I have seen brought back to like. ^_^

I bought my first Jeep back in 1968 as a teenager, a teenager without any mechanical experience. The first problem I encountered was the starter motor, many standard garages didn't employ people who had ever worked on Jeeps before and my problem was met with a sharp intake of breath between the teeth followed by the breath puffed out again with the claim of how expensive a job that this was going to be.

I soldiered on having to push start the Jeep for several months until one day I met another Jeep owner, he suggested a third Jeep owner who might be able to help me. The owner I went to see demounted the starter motor, fitted a serviceable dog gear and spring and refitted the motor back to the Jeep and charged me one British pound approx. two US dollars. All that he did in fifteen minutes or so as I watched in total wonder, I then asked why garages claimed it was going to be hard work and costly. We became friends and I spent endless weekends over his house learning the mechanics of Jeeps and rebuilding them.

So I implore you to continue with all the hard work you have already put in and will have to continue to put in, as it should all be well worth it in the end, especially if your son shares that interest. ;)

regards Lewis.

Thanks for the advice Lewis. I really wanted to use the block because the manufacture date is very accurate for the Jeep. It is so close that it could be original even though it isn't.

General Apathy

Thanks for the advice Lewis. I really wanted to use the block because the manufacture date is very accurate for the Jeep. It is so close that it could be original even though it isn't.

Hi Tilkicrei, thanks, hope it helps you, and keep us updated please. Over the years as Jeeps got repainted and rebuilt the tinned areas on the bodywork got or get covered over, these original tinned areas are for the bonding strap connections necessary for good starting, lighting, radio and prevent battery drainage etc.

Take a look at this site it is a German site however the picture content is very good and self explanatory.

http://www.willys-jeep-mb.de/42567/42225.html

Regards Lewis.

Hi tikifrei.

I also have a 1945 MB, it is running, but, is in need of a lot of work to be somewhat in original condition. My frame number is unknown [under a re-welded bumper bracket]. My engine is a later '47 C.J. unit. I do have a '45 head to put on it at some point.

Fortunately, the body number has survived, #247779. With the body number and several other known '45 MB's I have been able to calculate probable hood [20715645], frame [449145] and engine block [ # under M621737-(7/9/45) ] numbers and a DOB of the last week (+or-) of June, 1945.

It has been a fun and for me, slow project. I have been active in getting the accoutrements, but not so much the actual restoration.

Congratulations on your perseverance and progress!

Chuck.

Great project, keep us posted! ð

It's Willys though, not Willy's. ð

You got me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a new part. Parkerized body on the rebuilt distributor. So nice I almost can’t see putting it on an engine.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great thread and project...looking good....if you are not too worried about SN on engines...I have a good block ...not sure of its pedigree...but it is a L134 from a 2A that ran...just the block located in DE

Patchcollector

I enjoy threads like these that show the gradual restoration of items.All the best with your project and please take and post as many images as possible!

• 3 weeks later...
A quick update...

The engine shop decided the block should be ok as long as the crack can be fixed. They didn't have to take as much off the deck as initially estimated. I picked up and drove it to NY to be welded. I took a few pictures before dropping it off.

Now that it is cleaned up a bit you can see the date. 1/23/45

2018-2_Block_date.JPG

The yellow paint shows where the crack is. The welder said he will re-magnaflux it to determine how deep and if he can fix it. If he can after welding he said he will pressure test to block to make sure all is good.

2018-2_Block_crack.JPG

The deck has been machined....nice and flat

2018-2_Block_deck.JPG

It was a long day driving it up to NY and then back to PA. I am looking for a radiator shop to test out my radiator to make sure it is in good shape.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update. The crack is repaired! They did the locknstitch and then pressure tested the block. All is good. I should have the engine back in a few weeks.

2018-02_crack_repair.JPG

General Apathy

A quick update. The crack is repaired! They did the locknstitch and then pressure tested the block. All is good. I should have the engine back in a few weeks.

2018-02_crack_repair.JPG

Hiya, pleased to see you managed to save the block and its an on going rebuild, well done, will continue watching your progress . . . . ^_^

lewis.