USMC WW2 camouflage uniforms

kammo-man

kammo-man

D

Very cool hand cammouflage pieces .

Just my cuppa tea !!!!

Bob from Vintage Productions had something similar this year , his stuff came from a WW2 Marines family .

So yours might be along the same type of thing .

It looks just the same as his , so I would consider myself lucky , and you got a great once in a lifetime find .

owen

Owen,

Thanks for the compliments.Appreciate you looking it over.I have wanted to post this set to see what everyone thought.Some one sure took a lot of time and luv painting this set up.

There is an old magazine I have and it shows a rendering in color of a trooper in camo suit with gear.His gear is all camo'd up too.I wonder if this is where they got the idea???

I have a Marine 41 pack thats has a little paint on it and a M43 fiels jacket encased in parachute camo.Its a strange one.I bought it out of a gun publication in the late 1970s when I was a kid.I will try to dig it out and post it.

RD

kammo-man

Sweet ,

I would love to see the other things .

I forgot to mention Bobs stuff came with a m-41 that was also hand cammoed.

I think this type of thing is the icing on the cake for camouflage collectables !!!

o

• 2 months later...

:w00t: :w00t: Whoooo.....forgot about this thread with all you guys' primo stuff on it...that hand-'flaged web gear of Ron's is The Bomb. If that was done by some slob collector to be passed off as real, I think the price would have been through the roof- that's my opinion...

Shucks, might as well get in on the lunacy...

One-Piece Jungle Suit (sometimes called the "Zoot-Suit" by Marines), used by the 1st Marine Division and Carlson's 2nd Raiders in the New Georgia campaign. Notice 3 different dye shades (2 in the Helmet Cover); the Suit's lower pockets are even different than all these.

post-3226-1248745796.jpg

Here's a couple of M1942 Camouflage Suits- both large sized, so it is possible to find 'em big...

post-3226-1248746241.jpg

Later production 'flage: at left is probably the last of the Marine H.B.T. camo suits made of the "softer" colored material; an early-run '44 suit (the Coat came from Bob Thomas' old California-based mail auction many moons ago; Owen, I'll bet you know him); and a late-'43 Jump Smock which was cut at the waist, but with the elbow pads left intact (usually these were removed).

post-3226-1248746604.jpg

Coupla Jump Smocks; early '43 at left, final-run Smock at lower right. The early Smock has had the lower pockets removed and sewn up with silver-white thread (I've had a number of Marine Corps items which were repaired or modified using this thread- must've been hard to get O.D. thread, or something...?). A Paramarine Utility Coat hangs at upper right.

post-3226-1248747116.jpg

Early-run Helmet Net-Cover mounted on fixed-bail Pot; B.A.R. Parts Box has had a Marine belt hook riveted to its back.

post-3226-1248747591.jpg

bravo_2_zero
Early-run Helmet Net-Cover mounted on fixed-bail Pot; B.A.R. Parts Box has had a Marine belt hook riveted to its back.

post-3226-1248747591.jpg

Man this photo look like a scale model :w00t:

Man this photo look like a scale model :w00t:

:lol::lol: A truly unique perspective...but it does, when you look at it for a while- LOL

To answer that question one must look at the USMC m-44 uniform .

As the uniform was introduced in 1944 is is quite possible it was in production in the year 1944 and into 1945 .

So the logical answer to you question is 1945 .

However , the helmet cover was to be worn with little or no changes into the Vietnam war .

I have seen 1950s dated covers from the Blue Anchor company dated 1958 printed in blue lettering ,these have the 1950s style EGA printed on both sides .

I am sure a helmet guy could get even finer with the covers than me though .

That is my stab at the answer for you .

I hope it helps .

Owen

• 11 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ArchangelDM

Robert S. Keith enlisted on 6/17/41 and became a 2nd Lt. in April of 1942 at Quantico. In July of 1942 he was assigned to K/3/3 at New River, NC.
In October of 42' he is in the field with the 3rd Marines in Samoa. He next went to New Zealand and then to Bougainville. He is listed as WIA by January of 44', so he was wounded on Bougainville. By April of 44' he is stateside at Mare Island till October of 45'.
There is no muster rolls for him after that, so he was probably discharged as a Captain. 
If he was at Mare Island for over a year, his wounds were probably bad. 

Bag is marked USMC 1942 - first officers hand Camo’d bag I’ve seen 

2DB86C8C-A2BE-4E02-B704-ABE6C62B01C3.jpeg

E5091E2B-0BD4-43F0-ABE7-71237DC43A76.jpeg

44B9E0FF-A98F-4A78-BBB8-375A42FD1B21.jpeg

753A41EB-9A44-4FA3-8C09-29D3BB034AC0.jpeg

👍

Good stuff, good stuff!

Really cool camo painted officer bag!

I have a WWII Hood Rubber liner "toy helmet"  that had a camo job done with what appeears to be the same paint!

Good stuff, thanks for posting