USMC WW2 camouflage uniforms

kammo-man

Ron- that is one killer coat. Raider vet Rudy Rosenquist told me that the '42 'flage suits that he and his 4th Battalion buddies used were button-front. I asked him about the snap-enclosures, and he laughed and said "Aw, that snap-up stuff was for the Paramarines." Could be that the 4th Raiders got what you have there, and yours is the only non-picture-in-a-book example I've ever seen! Thanks for posting.

Ron- that is one killer coat. Raider vet Rudy Rosenquist told me that the '42 'flage suits that he and his 4th Battalion buddies used were button-front. I asked him about the snap-enclosures, and he laughed and said "Aw, that snap-up stuff was for the Paramarines." Could be that the 4th Raiders got what you have there, and yours is the only non-picture-in-a-book example I've ever seen! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the info.I pulled it off e-pay a while back.Had poor pics.Took a chance.Was an odd piece and wasnt to sure about the buttons but I knew I had seen a picture of one.

RON

Those are really terrific Cammos! Thanks for posting them, it's nice to just look at them. You have a great collection.

Thanks

Dennis

Thanks for the info.I pulled it off e-pay a while back.Had poor pics.Took a chance.Was an odd piece and wasnt to sure about the buttons but I knew I had seen a picture of one.

RON

:lol::lol: So you're the one who beat me out of that...small world!!

There is a shot in Jim Moran's book of an identical coat to yours- right down to the upper and lower pockets being on the left side. One of my '42 suits has pants with both pockets on the same side as well; not sure why they did that. Looks to me like your E-pay gamble paid off big time. Now all you gotta do is find some button-front '42 pants!! think.gif

:lol::lol: So you're the one who beat me out of that...small world!!

There is a shot in Jim Moran's book of an identical coat to yours- right down to the upper and lower pockets being on the left side. One of my '42 suits has pants with both pockets on the same side as well; not sure why they did that. Looks to me like your E-pay gamble paid off big time. Now all you gotta do is find some button-front '42 pants!! think.gif

'Flage

Sorry 'bout that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info on the Raider.

I got a set of pants with it but they have seen better days.Have good color but the seat is dry rotted.Seems like they laid some place and got wet or?Possibly they were in a foot locker on the bottom and were damp or something.Will see if I can find them and shoot a picture.There is a large L shape repair to the back of jacket.

RON

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR
Here is a shirt I believe to be a experimental or proto type prior to the P42 1st pattern camos.THis style is shown in "Grunt Gear".The collar and yoke details are the same in the picture and note the doughnut buttons opposed to the snaps that are standard on the P42s.I have the trousers also but they are rotted out in the seat.What do you think??

post-342-1234925662.jpg

post-342-1234925406.jpg

Nice one Ron. I guess I am going to have to pay closer attention in the future. Never noticed a P42 with donut buttons. Do the pants you have also feature donut buttons w/P42 features ?

Ron: My personal feeling about stuff having repairs on it is...it's combat gear, and if it's in otherwise good shape, and a rare item, who cares??? I picked up a sharp size 42 Paramarine Utility Coat at the Great Western Show years ago which had been cut all the way across the middle back and sewn back up with brown thread , and I couldn't have been more pleased (one day, maybe I'll find some pants to go with it). I'm even partial to stuff with old surplus store price markings :P

If it was me, I'd try to get ahold of some scrap H.B.T. 'flage material and repair those pants. Something that rare seems worth it- just my opinion.

Ron: My personal feeling about stuff having repairs on it is...it's combat gear, and if it's in otherwise good shape, and a rare item, who cares??? I picked up a sharp size 42 Paramarine Utility Coat at the Great Western Show years ago which had been cut all the way across the middle back and sewn back up with brown thread , and I couldn't have been more pleased (one day, maybe I'll find some pants to go with it). I'm even partial to stuff with old surplus store price markings :P

If it was me, I'd try to get ahold of some scrap H.B.T. 'flage material and repair those pants. Something that rare seems worth it- just my opinion.

Flage,

I agree with you 100%.Im not a size or condition freak.I am happy to get an example and hope someday another may come along.If not I enjoy what I have.

May try and repair the item.I knew a guy once that had about 30 feet or so of original cloth.Dont know what ever happened to it.I also got a set of pants from him that were supply made.His father in law had been in the Corps and had some pretty unusual stuff.I missed most of it at a show but ended up with a small travel bag made of camo and hbt,the pants,a mint P41 jacket with the envelope pockets to the interior.Have seen these listed as an early attemt at a fragmentation vest made up at the end of the war.The pockets are wide and long apparently for a plate.

RON

I did a trade deal (if I remember right) and got one of those M1941 3-pockets, mint condition, with a bunch of dark tan pouches on the inside for armour plating (from Bill Schneider, I think- same guy I got the '42 dated Helmet cover specs from). In one of my confabs with Doug Bailey, he told me that it was a late/post-War experiment and expressed an interest in it, so I traded him that coat and some other stuff for I-don't-remember-what. That very coat is in Tulkoff's book. Could it be the same one you had?

I did a trade deal (if I remember right) and got one of those M1941 3-pockets, mint condition, with a bunch of dark tan pouches on the inside for armour plating (from Bill Schneider, I think- same guy I got the '42 dated Helmet cover specs from). In one of my confabs with Doug Bailey, he told me that it was a late/post-War experiment and expressed an interest in it, so I traded him that coat and some other stuff for I-don't-remember-what. That very coat is in Tulkoff's book. Could it be the same one you had?

I still have mine.I thought I posted a picture of it in a thread but dont recall.Will have to dig it out and shoot you a picture.

RON

WOW

Ron thanks for adding some great camouflage uniforms !!

Donut M-42 set is fantastic !!!

Along with your other things .

That is a great story Flage on the buttons !!

owen

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the shirt I mentioned in a post a while back.It was obtained from a Marine who served in Vietnam around 1964.He had also been in Okinawa and I think this is where it was made.He didnt recall the shirt and thought it possiblely belonged to his father,a WW2 32nd Division vet.He brought these into a show a long with a WW2 Army pattern camo shirt(his dads)and a set of very small tiger stripes that were his.I also was able to pick up some of his uniforms,field jackets,jungle suits and he gave me some pics(copies)of him in uniform.

I think this shirt was made from a camo shelter half and you can see where some straps/stitching had been present.What do you think??

post-342-1237604215.jpg

WOW

Ron thanks for adding some great camouflage uniforms !!

Donut M-42 set is fantastic !!!

Along with your other things .

That is a great story Flage on the buttons !!

owen

For Interest: I think this qualifies as cool and camouflaged: Made from rubberised poncho cloth, Australian-made twill patch, Conmar bell-shaped zip - has great sportswear styling with broad pointed collar, bi-swing back and western-style pocket flaps.

Pluto

post-4733-1238013096.jpg

post-4733-1238013116.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Corpsmancollector

How I've only just stumbled across this thread I don't know! Great uniforms. Owen...WOW! Thought I recognized McPherson's set from Harlans book. That's a cool modification. Was the owner with the second division? (Sorry if it says in the post - I got excited)

Also love the modified jump-smock and US Navy graffiti!

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Heres one for Owen

A cammie M1928 pack with meat can pouch,shovel cover and BAR belt.Cant tell you much on this other than it walked into the Tulsa gunshow a couple years back.a guy I know bought a whole box of canvas and web gear from the guy.All were vintage and original.I tend to think its period done mainly because if a collector or re-enactor would have done it he wouldnt even think about over painting the US markings on the belt.In my oinioin a vet or soldier didnt give it a second thought.What do ya think???

BAR belt with

post-342-1241306268.jpg