WW2 US Navy Knit Watch Cap- Why Such a High Value?

Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

I have noticed on eBay (I know!!) that there have been a few of the subject caps going for near to beyond $200 each. What makes them so special? I do not actively collect navy items but due to my location of where I live there is not much to choose from so if I come across something from WW2 I pick it up. About 4 years or so ago I picked up a couple of these caps for around $5 each at an estate sale having no idea their apparent value. Is what I am seeing on eBay a legit value or are people getting caught up in a bidding war? Just curious.

Below are reference photos:

post-147204-0-54865100-1515819646_thumb.jpg

post-147204-0-94034100-1515819088.jpg

post-147204-0-11701400-1515819105.jpg

post-147204-0-90931600-1515819119.jpg

Hookemhorns88

They go that high as they are very popular to vintage clothing collectors.

Interesting. Had no idea. I just knew that navy uniforms typically do not command the same value as USMC or army. Are peacoats in the same situation?

I think the USAAF variety is even more pricy.

The A4s use to bring fair money due to the attaching the "pathfinder and paratrooper" lable to them.I haven't tracked prices on them for a long time

One sold on ebay not long ago, I want to say for around $400...

What was condition?

Typically they have a few moth bites in them.Had a dozen over the years but up graded to 2 in the collection.

Thanks

Sorry but that just seems insane, just because its from ww2 it becomes a knit cap worth $200 bucks, crazy! I got a nice knit cap at the store for $8 bucks! I just dont see why or how a simple Knit cap could be worth that kind of money, seems to me like someone is just trying to find something to buy! Considering you can buy a solid wounded in action Purple Heart grouping for that much, take your pick!

Hookemhorns88

Sorry but that just seems insane, just because its from ww2 it becomes a knit cap worth $200 bucks, crazy! I got a nice knit cap at the store for $8 bucks! I just dont see why or how a simple Knit cap could be worth that kind of money, seems to me like someone is just trying to find something to buy! Considering you can buy a solid wounded in action Purple Heart grouping for that much, take your pick!

^^^This right here. I understand placing a high value for a rare or limited supply "collectible". However, when it comes to wearing something in a functional way that most people have no clue or care that it is from WW2 just does not register with me.

Needless to say, I was not a buyer! My two USN knit caps came with groupings, and i got them far below retail. Sadly, the one I toyed with cutting loose lost its tag... So I doubt anybody would want it.

Doyler, I don't recall. I just looked at it briefly, and I think I watched it and commented to my wife about how much it would go for. The only two I saw on the recently sold listings on ebay both reached around $245.

Hookemhorns88

Yes, the first photo in the OP are the two that I have. I have passed on a couple more on the cheap but will not do so anymore!

• 1 month later...

I can verify the itchy head story. My Dad`s from ww2 was around and my brothers and I would try to wear it cold weather, itchiest thing I ever wore.

DocCollector1441

Another aspect that makes them expensive is the same thing that makes original chambray shirts and dungarees expensive. Original WWII knit caps continued to be worn by their owners after their time in the service ended meaning many of them have probably been worn down to nothing.

Try wearing one for twenty minutes

Your head itches

They are really uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FACT.

Even the 90's issued ones were ruff!

vintageproductions

​They are expensive because people in Japan like to wear them for fashion.

It is not just Japan, it is vintage clothing collectors around the world.