Was this style of Air Force Hat badge actually used? When?

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

Was this style of Air Force Hat badge actually used? When?

I was told that this design was never accepted for general use by the Air Force. Any thoughts? Thanks

Meyer. Approx. 2 5/8" tall.

post-154922-0-77616500-1515678262.jpg

post-154922-0-50318100-1515678279.jpg

They aren't very American looking, probably the reason they went with the standard Army pattern eagle in sliver.

Here's the second one I saw online:

post-32676-0-43338400-1515689447.jpg

These were to be for officers. There were a few more proposed designs and all looked about as crappy as this one. I believe ASMIC Trading Post had an article on these several years ago.

They are out there. I am happy they didn't go with them as they look horrible.

-Ski

Interesting. I have never seen one before. I must admit the very first thing that came to mind when I saw it was the KAOS emblem from the old Get Smart TV show.

Mikie

post-2687-0-33154000-1515692016.jpg

If I'm correct there is another style where the hat badge looks like the upper portion of an Security Police badge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have never seen one before. I must admit the very first thing that came to mind when I saw it was the KAOS emblem from the old Get Smart TV show.

Mikie

Wow, now that you mention it...

Jennings Lane

In an odd coincidence, I bought mine in a shop in Louisville, KY which is where you appear to be from.

It's possible that these may have originally came from Jerry Dooley. Some of you will remember Jerry from the OVMS Show of Shows. Years ago, he purchased a huge lot of Meyer insignia. I bought a variety of insignia from him and some from the estate of a man that also bought from Jerry.

Jennings Lane

I found this in the tub where I had the hat badge and some other insignia I purchased seven or eight years ago. It looks as if the badge was attached to this at some point in time. I still believe that this badge would have originally come from Jerry Dooley.

post-154922-0-29899300-1515795241_thumb.jpg

Jennings Lane

I actually have two of these from the same source. I'm keeping one for my collection, and listed the other one on eBay. I've also listed some other insignia and plan on listing more today. Other than the Air Force prototype, most is more common and priced accordingly. My seller name is junkmanaa. Even though I do have a retail store, eBay is tailor made for many things. I doubt that anyone is going to walk in my door and ask for a pair of 511th Infantry collar brass. Thanks

Andy