WWI postcards

USAF Brat

Found these postcards in with my Grandfathers photos. They are quite morbid in nature. Does anybody know if these were preprinted postcards that the soldiers could buy? The top one on the back says "After an attack on the Somme Front" and in german on the front top right hand corner says "Battlefield". There is no printers mark on the backs. post-175845-0-73221600-1515593717_thumb.pngpost-175845-0-75306500-1515593744_thumb.png

The top one has Russian rifles. Probably Russian revolution 1917? The Skeleton looks like a French Helmet. The poor soul in the bottom didn't dig his hole deep enough looks like a head wound. Looks like a bed roll across the shoulder Russian maybe...then again it could be North Russia Siberian ....

but it does say after the Battle Somme...

The photo of the soldier in the foxhole is in Der Weltkrieg in seiner rauhen Wirklichkeit. I'll check tonight, but I believe he's Bulgarian or something like that. Definitely from the Eastern Front at any rate.

The postcard is a bit censored. The head wound is much more obvious in the original photograph.

• 3 weeks later...

Postcards like these are very commonly found in WWI photo/postcard groupings. They were often purchased overseas by doughboys as souvenirs.