Unauthorized Combat Infantryman Badges

Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual

This is a UA CIB with part of the Special Forces crest mounted:

post-159798-0-74819200-1518024928.jpeg

I also have one of these with a dark blue enamel background.

I wonder if there was ever one with the M14 Rifle done up for the Vietnam 1965-66 period, Infantrymen of the 1st and 25th Inf Divs where armed with it still to a great degree, you know like perhaps South Vietnamese made examples.

post-34986-0-26455100-1474761946.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Patches, that is the only one I have not seen. Otherwise I believe we have had examples of the correct 1795 Springfield Musket, the M-1, the M-1 Carbine, and the M-16. In addition, there is this anomaly:

post-159798-0-96448800-1518094502.jpeg

At first I thought the rifle was an Italian Carcano, but the German-style oak and laurel leaves should have tipped me off that it was a variant of the 1895 Mannlicher.

Maybe someone else could weigh in if he has seen the M-14 used.

Cobra 6 Actual

I am not really sure how this badge fits into our unauthorized (UA) CIB discussion:

post-159798-0-48751900-1518446861.jpeg

It is definitely an NS Meyer EIB/CIB derivative design, c. 1960s --the hallmarks in the next photo confirm that -- but, the blue enamel is much darker than the "Infantry Blue" of the EIB or CIB, almost a Navy Blue. Plus all of the metal surfaces (the musket, the letters, etc.) are gilt, not silver-colored.

Here's the reverse with the NS Meyer hallmarks:

post-159798-0-05643300-1518446979.jpeg

A little over a year ago I contacted Purdue's AROTC Department seeking information about this badge, particularly the requirements for earning it and its time period of usage. Unfortunately, no one knew anything about it.

I do not think that this would be "swapped out" for a CIB earned by a prior service, combat veteran ROTC Student. Rather it is most probably a special purpose award, such as would be earned for leadership, marksmanship, honor guard service, etc.

As for it's award criteria I see the possibilities as:

1. An alternate version of the CIB that Purdue students wore instead of their actual CIBs.

2. A University marksmanship award.

3. A University award for another purpose: Honor Guard, a valor award (say, given for saving a drowning victim), a leadership award, some type of merit award, etc.

So, probably not a UA CIB. Still a cool derivative design.

I am not really sure how this badge fits into our unauthorized (UA) CIB discussion:

attachicon.gif8115F3EA-DF38-43DE-92D0-1614347CFC4B.jpeg

It is definitely an NS Meyer EIB/CIB derivative design, c. 1960s --the hallmarks in the next photo confirm that -- but, the blue enamel is much darker than the "Infantry Blue" of the EIB or CIB, almost a Navy Blue. Plus all of the metal surfaces (the musket, the letters, etc.) are gilt, not silver-colored.

Here's the reverse with the NS Meyer hallmarks:

attachicon.gif82415B9E-2FE3-4C5C-A0AF-DC9282D74916.jpeg

A little over a year ago I contacted Purdue's AROTC Department seeking information about this badge, particularly the requirements for earning it and its time period of usage. Unfortunately, no one knew anything about it.

I do not think that this would be "swapped out" for a CIB earned by a prior service, combat veteran ROTC Student. Rather it is most probably a special purpose award, such as would be earned for leadership, marksmanship, honor guard service, etc.

As for it's award criteria I see the possibilities as:

1. An alternate version of the CIB that Purdue students wore instead of their actual CIBs.

2. A University marksmanship award.

3. A University award for another purpose: Honor Guard, a valor award (say, given for saving a drowning victim), a leadership award, some type of merit award, etc.

So, probably not a UA CIB. Still a cool derivative design.

Is it a 9M Meyer shield?

Cobra 6 Actual

Hi Patches ... Thanks for asking. But, no, that is just a sort of a stars and stripes American shield design on the left; on the right is the C-in-a-circle for Copyright.

Cobra 6 Actual

This sterling silver miniature pin back would probably be UA:

post-159798-0-84647500-1518883085.jpeg

Although the wreath has leaves that look more like holly leaves than oak leaves, the real problem is the strange downward tilt of the musket barrel. Hallmark on back just has the word STERLING.

• 1 month later...
Cobra 6 Actual

I guess that should go into the category of CIB errors, such as backwards muskets, that results in a UA CIB:

post-159798-0-65342400-1522247455_thumb.jpeg

My guess is that an overseas manufacturer carelessly applied this 2nd Award CIBs star upside down.

Here is the full thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/307878-a-strange-combination-of-my-newest-uniformshelp-please/

Beautiful uniform, otherwise.

Comments?

Brian Dentino

Here is my oddity........this has been on this uniform since I bought it 10 years ago or so......no markings of any kind on it but not sure why the 2nd award star is upside down? Thought I would add this one to the "uncommon" list!

post-291-0-20564800-1522288519_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-12256500-1522288555_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Unauthorized CIB with the Army Infantry School crest mounted front and center:

post-159798-0-58709100-1523547569.jpeg

Apparently, too much enamel was used during manufacturing and the trigger guard and hammer were covered. This badge was made by Ed Piera Inc.

Cobra 6 Actual

The reverse of this badge:

post-159798-0-78381600-1523547751.jpeg

The crest is soldered to the badge. This is different than all of the other UA CIBs I have seen ... the 1st ID, 24th ID, 28th ID, and 29th ID. These others have all had a screw back.

As noted earlier, the addition of these unit crests was seen from WWII to Vietnam.

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This pink CIB was on an immediate post-WWII 37th Infantry Division, 147th Infantry Regiment Enlisted Ike Jacket:

post-159798-0-96325800-1524841495.jpeg

The jacket appears to be 100% tailor made. The jacket has wool felt Sergeant chevrons on each sleeve (not sure what the rank would be in WWII. It would be a Sergeant First Class now.). Although out of view, there are six overseas stripes on the lower right sleeve. The left shoulder has a theater made CBI patch and the right shoulder has a cut edge 37th patch. Each epaulette has a clutch back unmarked 147th DI.

The ribbon bar has the following: Bronze Star Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, CBI with two campaign stars, WWII Victory Medal, Occupation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and Philippine Liberation Medal. The Expert Marksmanship badge is sterling.

Inside the jacket is lined in green satin, is marked size 36L, and has a laundry mark of P-4648. I believe I read somewhere on this Forum that laundry marks may be researchable ... anyone know how to do that?

Cobra 6 Actual

OK, Aznation. Thank you once again. I am hoping to learn a little of this research process. Your tips have been most helpful!