Unauthorized Combat Infantryman Badges

Cobra 6 Actual

I couldn't edit my last post, so I'm forced to make a new one.

This reminds me of a time when my ex and I were still dating (2007/2008 somewhere). We went to a mall and parked outside one of those stores that caters only to the wealthy, not mere peasants like me.

She is looking at clothes just to see what they had so I wander to the men's section. I was looking for a military-style jacket at the time and happened to spot an olive drab copy of a British Army tropical jacket which were, in reality, actually khaki. I mean it was an exact copy right down to the holes in the shoulder straps for officers' rank "pips". I thought "hey, this looks cool". Then I looked at the price tag. $400! You read that right. Four hundred freaking dollars.

Needless to say, they did not make a sake that night! Lol

• 3 months later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This UA CIB was posted by MilitaryPicker1941:

image.jpeg.eb1b69a92625d759474cbad9307a2f27.jpeg

It was on a black field jacket with several other cool patches. Here’s the original thread: 

• 4 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This is another unauthorized CIB, this one posted by Siamundo:

image.jpeg.d878462119e600aeb847455a294ed6bf.jpeg

Apparently it is supposed to be a typewriter. Here’s the original thread:

1 hour ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

This is another unauthorized CIB, this one posted by Siamundo:

image.jpeg.d878462119e600aeb847455a294ed6bf.jpeg

Apparently it is supposed to be a typewriter. Here’s the original thread:

I like that “combat clerk” badge.

Cobra 6 Actual

Me too, Rhscott! It reminds me of the Bill Mauldin cartoon:

IMG_9623.jpeg

“Ya don’t git combat pay ’cause ya don’t fight.”

36 minutes ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Me too, Rhscott! It reminds me of the Bill Mauldin cartoon:

IMG_9623.jpeg

“Ya don’t git combat pay ’cause ya don’t fight.”

The Bill Mauldin cartoon was commenting on a very real controversy that existed during World War II. When the Combat Infantryman Badge was first created in 1943, there was a lot of grumbling by the front line medics that they were not receiving the same recognition, which wasn't just limited to the prestige of a badge. Recipients of the CIB actually got a pay increase when they were awarded the badge. 

Some infantryman took it upon themselves to unofficially award the CIB to the medics who were attached to their platoons and serving under the exact same conditions as the infantrymen. When the higher up heard about this, they instantly put a stop to it. It was was not just a situation where some felt the badge should be strictly limited to infantrymen for selfish purposes. There was a genuine belief among some in Army leadership that awarding a "combat infantryman" badge to troops who were officially classified as non-combatants and granted specific protections under the Geneva Convention based on that classification might result in specifically the Germans refusing to continie recognizing those protections. (I don't think anyone was ever concerned about the Japanese reaction, since they were not signatories to the Geneva Convention and did not typically honor it anyways.) It created enough bad blood among the medics that the Army eventually compromised in early 1945 and created a separate Combat Medic Badge. Bill Mauldin actually discusses the issue in detail in his book "Up Front".

One can argue over the issue, but there does appear to have been some legitimacy to why medics did not initially receive the same recognition as infantrymen that they receive today.    

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, Sean, for that detailed “backstory”. I’ve always found Mauldin to be both acutely “on the money” in describing the life of field soldiers as well as awfully danged funny. 

• 2 months later...
Bruce Linz

If the CIB is on a Vietnam vintage uniform, then I would say it was the year that soldier received it.

• 2 months later...
Cobra 6 Actual

I don’t even know where to begin on this abomination. It is listed on eBay as a “US Masonic badge high light Skill Badge AK47 American army fan badge Brooch” from a seller in China:

image.jpeg

For only $9.99 plus $3.99 shipping this bizarre “thing” can be yours!

4 hours ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

I don’t even know where to begin on this abomination. It is listed on eBay as a “US Masonic badge high light Skill Badge AK47 American army fan badge Brooch” from a seller in China:

image.jpeg

For only $9.99 plus $3.99 shipping this bizarre “thing” can be yours!

LOL! Leave it to China..

On 7/1/2023 at 8:13 AM, Bruce Linz said:

If the CIB is on a Vietnam vintage uniform, then I would say it was the year that soldier received it.

Uniform is WW2 era officers . Prior owner got it right from the vets widow  in the late 1990s. 

easterneagle87

Here's a 3rd INF DIV mini DUI added to a CIB I saw and watch go for sale recently on ebay. Just like the example of posting #46 on page 2 of this topic.  The DUI might have stood out more if the blue backing color of the CIB was still there. 

\IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg

• 2 months later...

Found one with the Artillery Combat Badge that was posted in another topic long ago forgot the OP, please forgive.

In this case the Badge is for WWII, a WWII 3rd Division Vet, a Sergeant, now with the 101st Training Division, around 1952=53, note the Lumpy Head Parrot Beak 101 patch there, didn't go to Korea we see, didn't add the new ribbon for the NDSM we see, that is if it even if it was out yet. Sure wish the rear of it was shot.

post-165-1197500355.jpg

post-165-1197500371.jpg

post-165-1197500416.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks for posting, patches. As you know there was a “big push” both during and post WWII to authorize a Combat Artillery Badge as well as a Combat Armor Badge. 

I think rd12 covered the interest in the development of a Combat Artillery Badge well in Posts #33 and #40 of this thread.

• 1 month later...

Lets add this one, it's like a EIB but has a Knife, a Bowie Knife? instead of Musket, it's made by NS Meyer in a Non Presious metal, not Sterling or 1/20 Silver Filled, would this even be American?

cib forerinn.png

cib forerin.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks for posting that, patches. It is definitely an EIB derivative design. Sort of has a South American look to it. Can anyone add any information on what this badge is used for and by whom?

easterneagle87

Meyers made a lot of badges for South American countries, possible one of those?