Unauthorized Combat Infantryman Badges

Cobra 6 Actual

• 1 year later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This is not a UA CIB. Rather is is a cloth badge with design elements clearly ‘borrowed’ from the CIB:

B81CA61E-D9F8-45C1-AA45-037853731798.jpeg

This is a Chicago Police Department “Sniper” Badge.

Cobra 6 Actual

This is another non-CIB with a clearly derivative CIB design:

86E5DD97-0319-4BE5-B3AB-613936FB333F.jpeg

It appears to be for a police unit. If you have any information on this badge I’d be very interested.

Cobra 6 Actual

Travis, thanks very much for posting that. From the eBay description is appears to be a full-size badge. It reminds me of the UA CIB I posted on the first page of this Thread as Post #6:

FAA53CD3-4660-412C-A1B2-CB11FE01CB6E.jpeg

This is one of my personal favorites since I had an M-16 in Vietnam. Whomever made these also did an M-1 version. (Give me a few minutes and I’ll find that one to post.)

Cobra 6 Actual

OK, here’s the M-1 version:

4969EF26-5D5E-4890-AAEB-4F0518C072C8.jpeg

This was Post #4 on Page 1 of this Thread. Curiously, I would have expected there to have also been a UA CIB made with the M-14. And, by now a UA CIB with an M-4 instead of a 1795 Springfield Musket.

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Referring back again to Post #157, this is the reverse of that badge:
cfcdee1f4cd667ade98f3b3a0b8ac5e4.jpg

What I find especially interesting is the 1999 copyright date. I track the unauthorized CIB field pretty closely and yet when Sivart brought this UA CIB to my attention it was the first time I’d seen it. Somehow for ~22 years this design remained out of common view. Go figure.

Cobra 6 Actual

This was just posted by Vintageproductions about a week ago on the main CIB thread:
f6e335d74de82089bea6c0aec89d21dd.jpg

It is a clutchback with no markings on the reverse. He speculated that the blue and white stripes are reminiscent of the 3rd Infantry Division’s emblem.

• 4 months later...
Cobra 6 Actual

A cloth version of the Combat Cavalry Badge:

image.jpeg.14bc9a7277bf5a0aec3b94d814693f52.jpeg

Like the CIB it is modeled after it is 3” wide, but the yellow ‘bar’ is slightly thinner than on the CIB.

• 1 month later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Not a UA CIB, but clearly copying CIB design elements:

image.png

This is for ‘combat’ while serving with the Royal Manticoran Army (or RMA), the primary ground combat branch of the Star Kingdom of Manticore’s armed forces. This is from a military science fiction book series by David Weber.

• 2 months later...
Cobra 6 Actual

This abomination takes the prize for the MOST unauthorized CIB that I’ve ever seen:

image.jpeg.29632c4c065564c3e45ee09ad51a7a49.jpeg

So, on top of an issue CIB you have, from left to right: a miniature basic jump wing, a miniature metal Ranger tab superimposed on a miniature officer’s cap badge, and a miniature CIB. Every available section of space is filled up!  Who is making these things?

On 1/28/2022 at 6:41 PM, Cobra 6 Actual said:

This abomination takes the prize for the MOST unauthorized CIB that I’ve ever seen:

image.jpeg.29632c4c065564c3e45ee09ad51a7a49.jpeg

So, on top of an issue CIB you have, from left to right: a miniature basic jump wing, a miniature metal Ranger tab superimposed on a miniature officer’s cap badge, and a miniature CIB. Every available section of space is filled up!  Who is making these things?

Wow! That's not busy looking at all.. ;D 

• 1 month later...

Found a photo of the Field Artilleryman Badge actually being worn, albeit a period colorized one, but we clearly see the CFAB, which I hope was not added when it was Colorized, but is a real deal one, maybe even Japanese made lets say.

He is given as Sfc Gene Bleuer, one site says he is an Infantryman in the 5th RCT, but that's gotta be an error, maybe he was in the 555th FA Bn of the 5th RCT??. Says Bleuer was captured In December 1952, was injured in a escape attempt and was released in Operation Little Switch in April 1953. Don't know when and where portrait was taken or what Unit Crests he has on, which are on Green Leadership Loops, portrait could of been after he was released in 53 despite him wearing the long obsolete 1948 Reg Stripes, a 8th Army unit, but as far as I can tell 8th Army did not command FA Units,.

Bleuer_Gen_01_WMK_jpg.jpg

2 minutes ago, patches said:

Found a photo of the Field Artilleryman Badge actually being worn, albeit a period colorized one, but we clearly see the CFAB, which I hope was not added when it was Colorized, but is a real deal one, maybe even Japanese made lets say.

He is given as Sfc Gene Bleuer, one site says he is an Infantryman in the 5th RCT, but that's gotta be an error, maybe he was in the 555th FA Bn of the 5th RCT??. Says Bleuer was captured In December 1952, was injured in a escape attempt and was released in Operation Little Switch in April 1953. Don't know when and where portrait was taken or what Unit Crests he has on, which are on Green Leadership Loops, portrait could of been after he was released in 53 despite him wearing the long obsolete 1948 Reg Stripes, a 8th Army unit, but as far as I can tell 8th Army did not command FA Units,.

Bleuer_Gen_01_WMK_jpg.jpg

Sergeant Bleuer's Obit, strangely if not typically, makes virtually no mention of his combat experiences or unit in the war, We see that alot with Vet Obits from WWII, Korea and Vietnam, Family members omit it or really don't know the details.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/gene-bleuer-obituary?pid=178622071

Cobra 6 Actual

Thank you, patches, for the photo and information. My opinion: Actually the lack of knowledge in the public, generally, about military matters such as units, service locations, ranks, uniforms, battles, etc., has declined along with the percentage of the American population that are now in active service. 

• 4 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

It's a sad fact Cobra 6 Actual. So many people claim they love the military and veterans, yet know literally nothing about any aspect of the military. I'm so glad I got interested in all of this as a kid. I spent countless hours with my grandfather talking to him about World War II and his experiences so I had a great understanding of his service by the time he died. Even now, 19 years later, I still look for information on his unit and the types of Radar and vehicles they used and the places they operated out of. I wish more people talked to their family members and learned as much as they can about their family members' service and made a legitimate effort to carry on their family member's legacy in one way or another. I guess Instagram is just too important for all of this "boring" stuff nowadays. :(