Unauthorized Combat Infantryman Badges

Cobra 6 Actual

• 1 month later...
Cobra 6 Actual

On a related note it appears that there are many unauthorized versions of the Combat Action Badge out there. Here is an Armor one:

post-159798-0-38904900-1534773530.jpeg

Not really sure about this one. It appears to be a semi-subdued CIB on German flecktarn pattern camo:

attachicon.gifBF3F298F-2E66-41AF-8A57-BBDA68BCFFDD.jpeg

I do not want to write that it is UA just yet. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason for it to be made in this color camo ... open for discussion, guys.

About 4 years ago I talked to a Bundeswehr SGM that was wearing a CIB. He was with the KSK in Afghanistan working with a 3rd SF Group ODA. He said his entire team was awarded the CIB at the end of their tours.

It looked just like the one in your picture.

The EIB has been awarded to German military personnel who complete the testing for years. There were two German paratroopers who earned theirs the same time I got mine.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, Grunt1SG, that makes perfect sense and I appreciate your information. I guess a related question becomes if there is a Department of the Army regulation that officially authorizes this practice.

But for me the fact that it is being done at some level by units and their counterparts is sufficient. Thanks again for providing the backstory and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks, Grunt1SG, that makes perfect sense and I appreciate your information. I guess a related question becomes if there is a Department of the Army regulation that officially authorizes this practice.

But for me the fact that it is being done at some level by units and their counterparts is sufficient. Thanks again for providing the backstory and welcome to the Forum!

Glad I could help.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just curious as to value of a combat armor badge?.....I ran across two of them at a local antique shop......The brand new one going for $5, an older looking one going for $12......Both are w/o cards or hallmarks....Bodes

Thanks rd12....I like them with a little age.....Too much bling otherwise with a shiny brand new one.....JMHO...Bodes

• 2 weeks later...
easterneagle87

This is a CIB personalized by a First Infantry Division soldier:

attachicon.gifF5108A3F-B9CC-45A2-AA9D-0AC573611CB0.jpeg

Apparently this UA addition of the Division pin was somewhat common from WWII to Vietnam. I have seen photos of other CIBs with different Divisions pins.

So today, I received in a mixed junk lot, a miniature 1st INF DIV screw back pin, that is EXACT!! to this and the one shown in a posted picture. I can see how someone would add it to their CIB. I may do just that with a period "sterling" CIB for display purposes only.

post-9131-0-38325500-1563337794_thumb.jpg

So today, I received in a mixed junk lot, a miniature 1st INF DIV screw back pin, that is EXACT!! to this and the one shown in a posted picture. I can see how someone would add it to their CIB. I may do just that with a period "sterling" CIB for display purposes only.

wow, i need it in my collection :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Neat find. I never come across one of these "loose". I posted a CIB in another thread with this type of pin added along with a picture of it being worn.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/379-the-combat-infantryman-badge/page-77&do=findComment&comment=2652996

look at posts #1918 & 1919

easterneagle87

Neat find. I never come across one of these "loose". I posted a CIB in another thread with this type of pin added along with a picture of it being worn.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/379-the-combat-infantryman-badge/page-77&do=findComment&comment=2652996

look at posts #1918 & 1919

THANKS! I was loking for that shot!!

Ben

I just ran across this photo. It looks official, but I believe the guy has embellished his uniform a bit. Combat Artillery Badge and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge. He appears to have a GERMANY scroll and unknown tab over his V Corps SSI. The thing I find most interesting is that if he has embellished his uniform, he at least didn't create a huge rack of questionable ribbons.

post-1761-0-95987100-1565007268_thumb.jpg

easterneagle87

I just ran across this photo. It looks official, but I believe the guy has embellished his uniform a bit. Combat Artillery Badge and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge. He appears to have a GERMANY scroll and unknown tab over his V Corps SSI. The thing I find most interesting is that if he has embellished his uniform, he at least didn't create a huge rack of questionable ribbons.

What an interesting picture! Some of the best stuff is still out there to be posted!

So what would be the tab above the 5th Corps patch, AND..what badges is he wearing on his right pocket? He's a Corporal, so could the bottom one be a Drill Sergeants Badge? I don't know how they were awarded.

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, seanmc1114 and easterneagle87. Always good to have photo confirmation that a badge is being worn, UA or not.

Here is a CIB made in Afghanistan of coin silver and lapis lazuli:

post-159798-0-04873000-1565900343.jpeg

post-159798-0-16009200-1565900370.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, easterneagle87. Here is an additional Afghanistan-made version:

post-159798-0-97787100-1566044562.jpeg

This is another trade. This CIB was made in 2018 using a GEMSCO four acorn original as the template. Again, coin silver with blue lapis lazuli. Frankly, this badge is so beautifully done that I think it could pass inspection. So, not really UA. Instead a unique handmade badge.