Unknown indian head WWI helmet.

Dr_rambow

Saw this one in one of my Facebook groups and no one could come to a conclusion to what it was. I have an inkling that it's a variation of a 2nd Division insignia, while others think it may be aviation related. Of course the current owner doesn't know what unit his grandfather was in otherwise this would be easy!

Personally I think Occam's razor applies to these weird neither-fish-nor-foul type of designs, but I certainly haven't seen everything let alone know everything.

What do you think?

post-97349-0-59623900-1515526107_thumb.jpg

RustyCanteen

It shouldn't be very hard to find out what unit he served with; ancestry has the troop transport records which usually list the unit they went over with or came home with.

Someone suggested that it could be a early version of the 8th Division insignia. I've never seen a helmet with this version on it much less with a shield vs a circle, so I am still skeptical.

post-97349-0-08808100-1515533849.jpg

world war I nerd

If the scratched image looks as if it wasn't done recently, then I suspect that it's a legit 2nd Division helmet for one of the units whose insignia was placed on a shield shaped background.

I've seen a couple of pre-Armistice photos of Doughboys wearing helmets with division insignia scratched into the rough sawdust finish of their tin hats.

I thought that was the most logical conclusion, but louder voices have come along to say otherwise without offering supporting information.

But what do I know?