80th Infantry Division (Training), 1st Battalion Guidon

nirvana

Another flag that I had to decode. This is a divisional battalion pattern guidon, with a patch in the center for the 80th Infantry Division, with "1" below that for the battalion. It's not a real patch but an embroidered area. The tag is marked "DPSC," which didn't exist until 1965. It's unusual in that the flag is blue and yellow, which aren't traditional infantry colors. However, in 1959 the 80th became a training unit, and those seem to use blue and yellow flags. Flags stopped being wool in the mid to late seventies, or at least they transitioned then, so this flag dates from 1965-1975, in my opinion. I'm gonna take a hiatus from posting for a while. Another picture is in the next response.

post-153664-0-76403900-1515467887_thumb.jpeg

post-153664-0-24297000-1515467897_thumb.jpeg

I believe that is for the 1st Brigade of the 80th Division. The battalions were elements the of the former 80th Infantry Division regiments.

You all are 100% right, it is brigade. I typed this at midnight and didn't catch that I confused the unit "b-words," battalion and brigade, as I was tired and am becoming senile. I posted it this morning without reviewing it, so the mistake stayed. Thanks for the catch.

Its the first real brigade flag that I've seen. Here is a pic of one presently in use by the army. I use the AR-840-10 manual a lot with these, which shows and explains the flags. Since there is not a collector's guide for these, it really is just learning as you go along. Below are also photos that show the general designs of the upper level flags, along with my 42nd Infantry Division flag, which is of the earlier WW2 type and lacks the patch.

size0.jpg

us-1ing.gif

pic4.jpg