WWI Purple Heart, Official engraving?

Adam R

This Purple Heart sold on eBay last week (on a Buy It Now). The medal looks like a standard WWI PH but the engraving seems a bit odd.

I was able to locate a copy of the recipient's service card. While it shows that he served overseas, there's no mention of him being wounded or receiving an MSCC (which was also a basis for the award of a Purple Heart).

I don't know what the explanation is here. I'm just putting this out for discussion. (But NOT a discussion about eBay's policy on not allowing PHs!)

post-10651-0-76746000-1515463130_thumb.jpg

post-10651-0-54534900-1515463140_thumb.jpg

Here's the summary of service card. No mention of being wounded or cited with an MSCC. The reverse of the card was blank.

post-10651-0-11303200-1515463480_thumb.jpg

dhcoleterracina

That engraving does not look like any other that I've seen. It is clearly the early variety issued in the 30's. Perhaps it's one of those unnamed/back door hearts that got engraved later? Attachment of the brooch looks sloppy and the ring looks messed with too.

The triangles underneath remind me of some "scales of justice" symbols I've seen. There might be something to that? Wouldn't be the first time a veteran was due a medal they never received so their buddies chipped in and got one for him. Just a thought...

oldradiostuff

It doesn't look like official engraving from the 30s to me. All of this version of the Purple Heart "should" be officially engraved, shouldn't they?

What is the number stamped on the edge of the heart?

WittWorldWide.com

Adam,

I have a similar medal, that appears to be Self Awarded to a WW1 Era Vet. Same Contract PH, UnNumbered, but the engraving on the medal I have is done in the standard format, and correct Font & Point Size, with some slight variance. But in the research, there were No Award Cards to be found for any decorations, and the transport records show him as being in a different unit than claimed. The medal I have was engraved a long while back, and would fool the majority.

I have seen examples of BB&B Strikes that are UnNumbered and UnNamed, guessing that BB&B Sold these in their retail outlets as Private Purchase Replacement or Wearer Copies... Not sure if Medal Arts had retail outlets, but strong possibility there were UnNumbered Overstocks... I have also seen other Renamed PH Examples, similar to what you find in British Medals.

As others asked, is your example With or Without a Number, and while it doesn't appear so from the image, is there any sign of erasure and renaming?

RW

I just noticed that I neglected to put a "?" at the end of the subject line for this topic. It should read "WWI Purple Heart, official engraving?". Can a moderator correct this?

All I know about the medal is what's shown in the photos above. The seller didn't mention if the medal was numbered or not. Perhaps the buyer is a Forum member and can add additional info about the medal.

WittWorldWide.com

From the image, it doesn't look erased and renamed, but would like to know if there is a number, or any evidence of having a number...

RW

From the second official PH contract, the one to the American Emblem Co. Inc. Utica, several PHs slipped unnumbered and unnamed from the backdoor. I saw a few before. Perhaps this is an example, engraved by the new owner.

Due to problems with supplying the 20,000 pcs from the contract a third contract, to BB&B was issued early er (numbered 59,480ish to 62,000).

Regards

Herman

Interesting that group was split, kinda an interesting early example of stolen valor! Almost worth keeping together just because of that and it keeps the story with it and would have kept the group from being sold as something it was not!

Adam - do you have the rest of the original image? I'm curious which medal (as seen by the red thread) was kept when the group was split.