Officer's Aero Patched Coat

Hello all. I have recently acquired a ww1 us aviators uniform. I was wondering if anyone can help me id the shoulder patch and name. Is it just a generic patch for being a part of the Air Service or does it represent 1st Aero Squadron? There are Mexican Border Service ribbons on the uniform so maybe he served with the 1st Aero and just went with them overseas but I'm still learning about all the history of that time.

post-157649-0-01556200-1515438126_thumb.jpg

Im still trying to make out his name on the tag inside the uniform. All I can read so far is P. Gardner. Can anyone make out anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

post-157649-0-32424200-1515438227_thumb.jpg

I'm not an Air Service expert by any means, yet I'm pretty sure the shoulder patch is the standard aero roundel or cockade signifying the Air Service rather than a group patch. I'm puzzled by the six battle stars on the victory ribbon, not aware of any group or division that received that many. Afraid I can't help at all on the name.

I' I'm puzzled by the six battle stars on the victory ribbon, not aware of any group or division that received that many.

Not uncommon for a pilot to have that many. Billy Mitchell had 8.

I was told the stars represented whenever he was mentioned in a dispatch. That true?

Well, a silver star would indicate a citation for gallantry, but each bonze star represents participation in a major ground conflict/battle.

I hope I can find out which battles he took part in. I also thought maybe it was a cursive I before P. Writing in capt could be possible. Would explain the period after it.

There are 28 Gardner's listed in the Mexican Border Service Medal issue records books, and I checked all 28. There were no matches. I tried J.P. Gardner, T.P. Gardner, the closest to the writing on the tag, as well as all the other Gardner's listed.

Will continue to search through other possibilities..

Leigh