Interesting "Reversed" WWII USMC 5th MAC SSI

Guest dpv9386

Guest dpv9386

hey i guess i could have done this earlier but i just looked in my United States Military Patch Guide by JL Pete Morgan. This patch is the 5th Amphibious CORPS but the pic in the book is a thread patch and the aligator head is turned the other way. Mine is opposite and is on felt maybe? Its def. diff. so what does that mean?

Hello dpv9386,

Because the Marine Corps only used unit SSI's for less than three years, from 1944 through 1947, my guess is it wouldn't have been used as a right shoulder combat patch. This 5th MAC SSI can be found in fully embroidered cotton, embroidered on twill and embroidered on wool or felt.

With that said, your example, while badly mothed, is a very unusual variation with the "gator" reversed the way it is and facing right instead of left. I would guess, a very scarce patch. An encouraging point here is that if one was made (your example), then chances are that there are more examples of this "reversed" patch out there and a collector might be able to find one in better condition. Even with the moth damage, I think you have a very nice, unique variation there!

Here are other original WWII examples of the correct left facing "Gator".

Gary

post-84-1172186272.jpg

post-84-1172186291.jpg

Uniforms of the Day

Many of the odd Marine patches were created in tailor shops and such, in places like the Philippines, Australia and Japan (during the occupation). This one is most likely Australian-made and is indeed a really neat variation. The fact that the alligator is facing the opposite direction is simply attributed to the maker taking some artistic license, or just making a mistake. These can be found in a myriad of configurations and they have been made with one star, two stars, etc. In any case, your patch would be a very hot item to WWII USMC collectors and those that collect variations and error types. Even with the mothing, the design is pretty much intact and it is still a desireable example. Nice find!

Chris Brown

Many of the odd Marine patches were created in tailor shops and such, in places like the Philippines, Australia and Japan (during the occupation). This one is most likely Australian-made and is indeed a really neat variation. The fact that the alligator is facing the opposite direction is simply attributed to the maker taking some artistic license, or just making a mistake. These can be found in a myriad of configurations and they have been made with one star, two stars, etc. In any case, your patch would be a very hot item to WWII USMC collectors and those that collect variations and error types. Even with the mothing, the design is pretty much intact and it is still a desireable example. Nice find!

Chris Brown

Hi Chris,

First, let me welcome you to the Forum. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do and find it a great source for learning and making new friendships.

IMHO, while I agree with you that there were many different theater or foreign made patches made for the Marine Corps during WWII and shortly after, the mothed and reversed 5th MAC patch that started this thread is not one of them. This patch is a typical example of the embroidered on felt US made version. While I also agree that it is very unusual to find the "gator" reversed, my guess is it's nothing more than a factory error, much like the other reversed design or reversed color US patches that one can find while collecting WWII patches.

Gary

dpv9386,

Because your reversed design 5th MAC SSI is unusual and unique enough to most likely generate searches in the future, I thought we should change the thread title to help and assist those doing the searching. Hope you don't mind.

Gary