Unusual liner in VN era helmet

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

A very nice example of a Vietnam War era US helmet with a 70 dated cover as I found it. The nape strap on the liner is 69 dated. Now....the liner is thicker than usual with a rough edge and dark finished interior & exterior I've never seen one like this?

post-93-0-60432600-1515371069.jpg

post-93-0-13029200-1515371086.jpg

post-93-0-89556400-1515371095.jpg

The white sticker in the liner has the date on it. This is the norm as far as construction goes for liners made during this time. Sometimes you can find them with early 70s dates.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one stamped inside 1975 but my question is the removable type of linner was never issued in vietnam? when they came in production?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I have one stamped inside 1975 but my question is the removable type of linner was never issued in vietnam? when they came in production?

I believe the first year was 1975.

lost-and-found-history

The first year of production for these was 1975, though I have no idea what month. The Vietnam War officially ended on April 30th, 1975, so this liner never made it to the theater. Assuming that this liner, cover, and steel helmet have been a match since day 1 of issuance, then this was a brand new liner at the time that it was issued, along with a current VN War era helmet and cover, and likely only used stateside.

I believe the first year of production for the removable suspension type liner was 1973. From my limited research, I personally haven't seen any removable suspension liners in use in Vietnam, but I suppose it is possible LATE in the war. Especially with the troops sent to evacuate the embassy.

Check out this shell I found on eBay with a 1973 dated removable suspension liner:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIETNAM-ERA-GROUND-TROOP-HELMET-M1-W-LINER-TYPE-1-WOODLAND-COVER-1973/322938212975?hash=item4b309e126f:g:bGAAAOSwIFtaMWq1

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I believe the first year of production for the removable suspension type liner was 1973. From my limited research, I personally haven't seen any removable suspension liners in use in Vietnam, but I suppose it is possible LATE in the war. Especially with the troops sent to evacuate the embassy.

Check out this shell I found on eBay with a 1973 dated removable suspension liner:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIETNAM-ERA-GROUND-TROOP-HELMET-M1-W-LINER-TYPE-1-WOODLAND-COVER-1973/322938212975?hash=item4b309e126f:g:bGAAAOSwIFtaMWq1

Very interesting, thanks.

The earliest I've seen is March 1972.

The liners with snap in suspension were in a testing period earlier than that but I doubt they were made in mass or completely finished quantities until 1972.

Direct U.S. military involvement ended in the summer of 1973, and of course Marines were back in 1975. So it's possible some Marines could have used them in 1975. Which you can also see Marines sporting the newer developed ERDL covers.