One of the nicest WWII USMC Groupings I’ve seen.

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

Certainly not mine and it will end up doing well on eBay, but this is one of the nicest WWII USMC Groupings Ive seen. Kudos to the seller for keeping it together. If you havent seen it, its worth just looking at.

eBay item 183003920319

post-12393-0-09290700-1515362519_thumb.jpeg

post-12393-0-05887200-1515362529_thumb.jpeg

Catfishcraig

Part of Seller’s description:

“Up for auction is a large & amazing WWII USMC Grouping. This grouping is from CPL Valotta. CPL Valotta was in the PTO from 1943 to 1945. He served with the 2nd Marine Division in HQ as an assistant cook. He received a letter of Commendation from the commanding General for his actions while on Saipan, for running ammo, food and water to the front lines. He was on the islands of Tarawa , Saipan, Okinawa as well as a few others. In this grouping are also a bunch of letters that he wrote or received, his crossing the equator card and several other items like name stencil and pictures. All the items in this grouping came from his estate, I really think this grouping deserves to stay together. I will describe the items as best as I can, if you have any questions please let me know. I do want to point out that the P42 (frog skin) in the auction is 1 Top and 2 pants. Good luck.”

Catfishcraig

If i had the money i would definitely bid. These don't come up for sale very often....

Hunt

Way out of my league too. Im hoping it goes to a forum member that wouldnt mind showing details.?

PeleliuMarine1944

Holy smokes!!!!! That is BEAUTIFUL!! Certainly one of the nicest USMC Groupings I have EVER seen! Im getting all tingly just thinking about it. Lol

I don't understand why Ebay sellers use a reserve. I can understand its purpose at a live auction, but not Ebay. Not knowing for sure what it takes to actually win/buy the item is frustrating.

Or if the item(s) are actually for sale. Some folks use the reserve as a safety net to keep stuff from actually selling. Their real aim is to see what the item would go for. Which is pointless as most items with a reserve under preform until the reserve is exceeded.

Jeffthebutcher

So, I am the current owner of this grouping. I did set a reserve for the sole purpose of attempting to keep the grouping together. If that will work or not I do not know. It was not an easy decision to put this up for sale but it is for sale. If any of you have any questions please ask.

Thanks

Jeff

stealthytyler

Very nice group! Would it make sense to start the auction at your reserve price? Just curious if anyone does that instead of setting a reserve. Congrats and good luck on the sale!

Very nice group! Would it make sense to start the auction at your reserve price?

Yes! Then collectors know what they have to bid to actually buy it.

Kurt Barickman

Yes,when I occasionally sell on Ebay if it is a high end item, I always put a reserve; you need to protect your investment.

Kurt

putting a reserve on a listing is basically shooting yourself in the foot and I am speaking from experience. I used to put reserves on high dollar stuff but I noticed that they would not sell or they would under preform by selling at just over my reserve (which was normally very low retail or what I paid for the item) in the last couple of seconds or just tick people off and result in a couple of "are you really selling it" "what's the reserve?" and other fun one line messages. now I just gauge the market and set a high to just over retail buy it now with a make an offer option or just sell it off eBay to people I know and have done business with before. sometimes you would get what you were hoping for with a reserve but from what I have seen and experienced its not as common as if you just do a BIN/OBO or start it off at your asking price doing an auction.

on a side note I am not knocking your listing or your stated intent. trying to get a decent price for a grouping is about the only way to ensure it doesn't get broken down. if you started it off cheap and just let it run it would probably go for less then the sum of its parts and get broken down into several smaller groupings or parted out completely by someone trying to make a buck or just wanting a part of the grouping. I think its a smart move on your part, I just think you would do better starting it out at the your price with no reserve. in any event I hope your sale goes good and that really is a killer grouping and I hope it stays together.

Jeffthebutcher

I just wanted to say thank you to all for the comments and messages. This is the first time I have ever listened something like this. Its a learning curve for sure. At the end of the day and what ever the out come, I have learned a lot!

Thank you!

Jeff

I always say the same thing when these e-bay topics come up here. It's your property, do as you wish, set the reserve, sell it offline, remove it on the last day... In the end, its yours and yours alone. Only two people will be happy at auctions end, you and the winner.

With that said, the idea of it not getting broken up could well end with your sale. The next owner may just be parting it out...Good luck and great grouping! Scott

Jeff - Good job re-listing with an actual non-reserve minimum (a minimum that is sufficient to protect your investment). Now bidders know that if they end up the high bidder, they will buy the group. Reserves just don't work for a legit Ebay auction.