Help ID metal USN Boatswain cap badge...........

Flightpath

Hi,

another navy cap badge I have just won.....

I'm only guessing and would appreciate some help to ID this, but my guess is a WW1 period Boatswain's cap badge. The seller said it was 1-5/8" high. I have checked for simular badges but can't find a Boatswain cap badge with fouled anchors and (while searching) the cap badges of the time period I've seen are bullion.

All help gratefully accepted to ID this nice badge, all comments welcome.

cheers, John

post-105780-0-55717100-1515284129_thumb.jpg

Does not match any descriptions given for Warrant Officer cap insignia for the Revenue Cutter Service since 1900 or the Coast Guard since 1915.

With the design of the stock, maybe Royal Navy or one of the European navies.. Possibly Merchant Marine Service...

Does not match any descriptions given for Warrant Officer cap insignia for the Revenue Cutter Service since 1900 or the Coast Guard since 1915.

With the design of the stock, maybe Royal Navy or one of the European navies.. Possibly Merchant Marine Service...

Thanks for your input mate, I see what you mean about the stocks, I really didn't look at the style of the anchors but thought the overall badge was simular to the sleeve insignia above the rank of early 1900s USN Warrant officers and Boatswains, it's probably not good to compare a metal badge with bullion though. So far I can't find a naval badge with this type of stock, not RN, Russia, Germany.......

Looking forward to hearing from others, the seller sold it as 'US Navy' and has a 30 day return policy, so I can return it if I find that it's not US Navy..

cheers, John

John, I am not a fan of the seller personally! I see a lot of items of very questionable nature come from that seller! I would move with caution! I personally believe they pedal a lot of fakes!

Hi Mariner,

I think both my new observer wing and this 'boatswain' badge will probably be turned around when they arrive.

-John

Hi Mariner,

I think both my new observer wing and this 'boatswain' badge will probably be turned around when they arrive.

-John

I would advise it, I'm not sure if they are a producer of fakes or if they buy them but they have been selling them for year under the guise they came from an old collection(literally 3-4 years, so I'm guessing the whole thing is a lie) ! They do sell some original items but of course the clearly original items are usually more common and not worth as much as the questionable items!

, the seller sold it as 'US Navy' and has a 30 day return policy, so I can return it if I find that it's not US Navy..

Why are you bidding $53 on an item that you had no idea what it was? (and the seller doesn't appear to know either based on his vague description). The seller's description wasn't so specific that it was truly misleading (i.e., called it a "US Navy Hat Badge" in the "militaria date unknown category with a starting bid of 5 bucks). Just doesn't seem right that you run it up/buy it hoping it's a bargain and then return when it turns out not to be. If it turned out to rare and worth $500 (which would make you keep it) would you send him extra money??

Sorry for venting, but this seems like a "bush-league" way of buying/ collecting.

Hi Kurt, (no problem with venting)

I did do some looking around but I only saw the badge the day before, I looked at this badge and saw the same twisted wire representing rope that's on WW1 era CPO cap badges.

I looked at (not so good) photos of WW1/1920s Boatswains and saw the crossed anchors above the sleeve rank and it looked simular to those........ it was advertised by the seller as US Navy and so to my mind I was not bidding not quite as blind as you might think. I saw 5 others bidding and I bid one dollar more than the last bidder..... of course we all hope to get a bargain, so does the seller.

cheers, John

I have searched all weekend right back to the civil war and no simular anchors were seen on any USN badges.

I contacted the seller and he was good enough to issued a full refund straight away....

cheers, John

The design of the anchors makes me think "foreign", but the screwback makes me think "U.S" While most yacht club type hat badges are bullion, I think that's what this badge is.

The design of the anchors makes me think "foreign", but the screwback makes me think "U.S" While most yacht club type hat badges are bullion, I think that's what this badge is.

Hi Kurt,

the anchor design is known as 'Admiralty Pattern' but it has not been used by the Royal Navy on their badges. As you say, it could be a yacht club, I think it may even be an old shipping company crew's badge.

Anyway, not USN so it's not mine anymore.

cheers, John