Battleship BAR's

Charlie Flick

Those a Cole Carts. I'm not aware of any in existence anywhere.

The US Coast Guard manned Lewis guns on landing craft at Guadalcanal.

I was watching a video a couple years ago where a U S submarine crew was,lets say,finishing off Japanese from a ship they had sunk. The survivors were real close to the sub and the U S submariners were using B A R's and Thompsons. Greg

Yeah I thought every ship had Marines on them as well that's why I was thinking the weapons would be for them. When it comes to shipboard fights in close quarters have a BAR might be very useful if you find yourself in front of multiple enemies lol..... But shore parties make since although I don't believe that they would have seen much combat in which to participate them. Wouldn't they have had separate jobs to deal with in which carrying a BAR could possibly get in the way of, especially since it is so heavy?

Hunt

For ground actions, the Navy's Landing Force used automatic weapons. For those of you who have seen the movie The Wind and the Lion, you see sailors using the crew served automatic weapons. Here is a photo, originally posted by bleujacket34, of a landing party from the USS Michigan at Vera Cruz.

post-203-0-94838400-1515790631_thumb.jpg

Back to BAR's. I worked with a fellow who was in the Navy during the Viet Nam war. On of his assignments while on patrol in that theatre was standing forward with a BAR and to shoot at floating mines the ship encountered. He said it was impressive when one exploded.

Illinigander

• 2 weeks later...

My uncle was on a ship during the Cuban missile crisis, it was mostly a radio and intelligence ship but he clearly remembered them passing out arms when they thought they were going to shore and passing a BAR to the last guy in line. Him.

Guys:

Things are a little slow this week so I thought I would post this neat pic I ran across elsewhere. It is from the LIFE collection. It is an image taken of a battleship armory about 1940 or so. One source identifies this as the USS Idaho.

How'd you like to have that line-up in your gun room? And note the Lewis guns in the background.

attachicon.gifBARs in arms locker on Battleship at Hawaii 1940.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

Look at that brightwork GLOW above their barrels! Looks like a mirror! (some boot camp probably got to polish those a couple times a day, and LOTS of time to do it!)

Makes for a smart and proud space! Even when I was in in '92-'96, ALL exposed metal aboard ship (CVN-73) was polished to a mirror like finish..using Nevr-Dull..a wadding polish..looked like cotton with polish in it, and is still one of my favorite scents in the world.

Let's turn the sign

MARDET (Marine Detachment) still did when I was in, (and sure still does!) keep theirs in their berthing.

• 4 weeks later...