Battleship BAR's

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Guys:

Things are a little slow this week so I thought I would post this neat pic I ran across elsewhere. It is from the LIFE collection. It is an image taken of a battleship armory about 1940 or so. One source identifies this as the USS Idaho.

How'd you like to have that line-up in your gun room? And note the Lewis guns in the background.

BARs in arms locker on Battleship at Hawaii 1940.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

huntssurplus

Wow! Great picture! Thanks for sharing!

Question: Why would a battleship need all of these weapons? Is it in case of being boarded? Or for going on shore? Maybe for Marines stationed on the ship?

Hunt

You mean they don't fight off boarders with cutlasses? Don't all ships have Marines detachments? I wouldn't think a BAR would have been the weapon of choice for shipboard fights (although I'm sure any Marine would love a BAR). Perhaps they were earmarked for shore parties.

huntssurplus

You mean they don't fight off boarders with cutlasses? Don't all ships have Marines detachments? I wouldn't think a BAR would have been the weapon of choice for shipboard fights (although I'm sure any Marine would love a BAR). Perhaps they were earmarked for shore parties.

Yeah I thought every ship had Marines on them as well that's why I was thinking the weapons would be for them. When it comes to shipboard fights in close quarters have a BAR might be very useful if you find yourself in front of multiple enemies lol..... But shore parties make since although I don't believe that they would have seen much combat in which to participate them. Wouldn't they have had separate jobs to deal with in which carrying a BAR could possibly get in the way of, especially since it is so heavy?

Hunt

Salvage Sailor

BAR's were in the USN armories aboard many vessels.

Photo: USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6)

USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) Landing Party Instruction 001.jpg

USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) Landing Party Instruction 002.jpg

I'll see your BAR and raise you one US Navy MK VI Lewis Gun. Story is that it came off of a Navy ship that was being decommissioned at the Bremerton Navy Yard.

MVC-022S.JPG

MVC-023S.JPG

Great topic and pictures.

brother in law was on a carrier vietnam era and he recalled thompsons and drum mags on board.He also said they were detailed one time to "dispose" of inventory.They threw a lot od stuff overboard and he spoke of machetes that were new and dated 1944 that went into the water.

Awesome photo OP. Please note checkered hand guards and early flash hiders. My brother and I have been looking closely at WW2 photos of BAR's lately. Seems the bulk of combat used rifles will have wood furniture and early parts. Specifically screwed on mag well guides to prewar trigger groups. Also note gas plugs.

I'll see your BAR and raise you one US Navy MK VI Lewis Gun. Story is that it came off of a Navy ship that was being decommissioned at the Bremerton Navy Yard.

attachicon.gifMVC-022S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-023S.JPG

Very nice. Lewis guns are fun, had one years ago but it was in .303.

johnsonlmg41

attachicon.gifMVC-022S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-023S.JPG

I'll take that bet and raise you a couple Navy gray boxes of trinkets. Clearly you have excellent taste in fine vintage iron. Does yours have a USN number stamped on it in addition to the serial number? From memory I think mine is 927?

post-18419-0-03326100-1515343181_thumb.jpg

Charlie Flick

Hey Robin:

That is a great Lewis Gun you have there. I think I found a pic of your gun undergoing inspection. You got the cart, too, right? B)

Navy Lewis Gun on Cart.JPG

Regards,

Charlie

huntssurplus

What a great picture! Are there any battles where navy guys like these actually went on shore and rolled out the lewis guns like this to participate in an actual land battle? It looks like the first 3 guys are petty officers? They all seem to be carrying .45's and it looks like the rest of them are carrying Model of 1917's or M1903's. This might be my source picture for a new display!

Hunt

Charlie Flick

Yep, the Marine officer is inspecting these members of the ship's landing party. He is looking over the M1911 pistol of the first sailor. Note that the flap on sailor's M1916 holster is open. It is also interesting to note that all of the sailors armed with pistols have their canteens carried on the left hip. Those armed with the M1903 Springfield rifle have the canteens on the right hip.

In this time frame (late '30s-early '40s) I am not aware of any BB or other capital ship landing party actions. However, it is entirely possible that sailors with Lewis guns fought ashore during the failed defense of the Philippines.

Here is another interesting Lewis gun image, via LIFE, taken in 1939 or so on the submarine R-14. This gun does not employ the shoulder stock. And how about that fancy gun mount? Looks like some galvanized pipe put together by a plumber.

Lewis gun aboard submarine R-14.JPG

Regards,

Charlie