Garage Find. Killer WW1 USMC Helmet

Eric Queen

My dad pulled this and an army 2nd division tunic (I am going to post in "What's if worth? section) out of a local garage last week. They had been in there at least 50 years according to the lady.

DSC_2899.JPG

Best part was what was in the liner. I didn't do a great job of capturing it with the camera but in natural light it clearly says "Sgt. Geo. M. Dudley" in red paint

DSC_2908.JPG

And the best part....

Dudley originally served with the HQ Company of the 5th Marines and won the Silver Star for gallantry at Blanc Mont

GMD 3.jpg

huntssurplus

WOW! A great find! This proves that there are still things to be found in old attics and garages and stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Hunt

Thanks. Indeed. He also got a civil war field desk out of there. I have not seen that yet. Dated 1861

A very nice "one-looker". It looks more like the 2/6 brown than the glossy green USMC 3rd Composite Regiment paint.

Chuck

Great USMC Composite regiment helmet. The Indian was painted by the same artist as did my two! Post pics of the uniform. Bob

P.S. Saw the uniform thread. Nice patch - not related to the helmet. Interesting.

Here's the uniform Bob. I am going to help Dad sell it (uniform). Uniform is not named that I can see.

DSC_2910.JPG

Yeah, it's amazing there is anything left of the uniform. As Bob said, the uniform and helmet are not related at all. This gentlemen who owned these just passed away and he was kind of a closet pack rat I guess. His wife said he started going to rummage sales and garage sales in the 1950's, would find stuff he liked and just throw it in the shed or garage. My dad said a lot of the stuff he saw was completely rusted or moth eaten. These two somehow survived. I guess there was really no rhyme or reason to what he bought. Makes you wonder if the rest of Dudley's things were at the same sale where he got this and he just left them there.

Holly Molly....! Love that lid, the tunic too... Usually moth eaten and patches faded by now. Gem of a find my friend...! Well done...! Chris