1906 to 1910 Folding Rulers for Army Use in Intrenching

jprostak

One of the often overlooked items among intrenching tools of the Pre-WWI era is the 2 Foot Folding Ruler. These are very little talked about in Army documentation.

While doing research on line and at the National Archive, I came across this documentation.

A US Army document on Intrenching Tools tests, dated 5-6-1905 describes these rules in one line.

"The 2-foot Rule recommended is the ordinary 2-foot rule of commerce"

On Drawing # 20-2-51, Intrenching Tools, dated 6-30-1905, there is a description of a two foot folding ruler as;

RULE

One- Boxwood

2 ft. 4 fold, square joint,half bound, 1 inch wide,

Graduated to 8ths, 10ths, 12ths and 16ths of an inch and

without Caliper. "Stanley No. 84" made by

Stanley Rule and Level Co., New Britain, Conn.

on the same drawing dated 1/5/1909 identified as Revision # 7, the No. 84 is crossed out and a new Ruler is described as;

2 Ft., 4 Fold, Full Brass Bound, 1 inch wide

when folded (STANLEY, No. 62)

This is change is described in the cover letter as necessary to standardize the rules in the Army.

Both of these rulers are available online from various sources. Almost all are unmarked commercial models. I have seen one or two over the last year that were marked as US Army Property.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

These commercial rulers are not worth more than $20 to $25 dollars. There are lots of them out there. Don't everyone rush to Ebay and pay some crazy price for one or get into a pissing match over one and make it go to $75 or more. Wait, one will be out there for $20.

If you find a US Army marked one, go crazy.

post-6161-0-41874500-1515197120_thumb.jpg

Wow! Very interesting!

I have a two-foot folding ruler that looks almost identical to the one shown, except it is not a Stanley. It is "No. 268 Master Rule Mfg. Co. Inc. N.Y. Made in U.S.A."

I don't remember where I got it. but I probably bought it because I thought it was cool and it was cheap!

I like the fact that they are identified by the maker and model number. There are a number of tool kits that require a 2 foot folding rule but there is never any mention in the supply catalogs as to which maker or model is used.

I see folding rulers every weekend at flea markets and antique shows and stores. Nothing rare about them. But now I know which ones to keep an eye out for.

world war I nerd

Great info Jon,

I've always wondered what these things looked like, but have never once seen an example.

Thanks a bunch for sharing what you found out about this obscure article of field gear.

Thanks also, for spending so much of your free time digging through documents at the National Archives where you unearth these nuggets of information.

Your diligence, and willingness to share, is much appreciated.

I think all the tools and rulers in the early SC Kits were marked SC USA. Here is a picture of the one I have. The later kits (WWII and post war) use generic tools that are not marked SC, at least mine isn't.

post-2641-0-52621400-1515525758_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-35292800-1515525783_thumb.jpg

I have one that came with a grouping (plus two others that I found at the flea market and just liked). None of them are Army marked. I'll have to check the manufacturer.