Pre-WWII USMC M1917A1

TXMarine81

Hello everyone. I wanted to share my pre-WWII US Marine Corps M1917A1 helmet with you all. I was fortunate to find it in very good condition. The inside of the shell is stamped “14C”, and has the name “REDDICK” hand written along the rim; the exterior of the shell is mounted with what appears to be a 1937-1955 bronze enlisted Marine Corps cap/hat ornament (I referenced The Eagle, Globe, and Anchor: 1868-1968, pg. 77). The liner consisting of four leather tongues tied together with a leather drawstring, and mounted onto an aluminum skeleton, is in very good condition, as is the hook and arrow chin strap hooked to swivel D bales. My best guess is that it was manufactured by McCord Radiator & Manufacturing Co. of Detroit, MI, between 1939-1941.

Anyone know a way to look up USMC enlistment rolls/registration from this time period? I’d like to see if I can find the history of the previous owner (REDDICK) of the helmet.

I would appreciate any feedback, additional information, or corrections if any of my information is incorrect. Thanks!

-Preston

post-163082-0-24581500-1515135973.jpg

post-163082-0-40493000-1515135981.jpg

post-163082-0-26087400-1515135991.jpg

post-163082-0-13913500-1515136003.jpg

post-163082-0-80790300-1515136017.jpg

post-163082-0-47823000-1515136027.jpg

EGA is a post-WWII example. The Muster Rolls are available on Ancestry.com, unfortunately without a first name or some initials you'll be hard pressed to figure it out, there are 1456 entries for Reddick.

I think the helmet is British, not US. The liner is similar to British WWII Brodies

I think you have a put-together

I think the helmet is British, not US. The liner is similar to British WWII Brodies

Nope, the OP is correct, it's a McCord-manufactured m1917a1.

Still think it's a put together, or very least replaced EGA. Emblem looks far rougher than the helmet. I have seen no evidence of that emblem being used during or before the war, rather I believe it was used late 40s-early 50s as a private purchase by H&H. Would be interested in seeing beneath it, and if there is a 'ghost' of an emblem.

Not a helmet guy, but I am an EGA guy

EGA is a post-WWII example. The Muster Rolls are available on Ancestry.com, unfortunately without a first name or some initials you'll be hard pressed to figure it out, there are 1456 entries for Reddick.

I think you have a put-together

Brig-

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. That's too bad that there is such a large number of Reddicks on the muster rolls. Is it possible to narrow it down to between 1937/1939 - 1941? Additionally, I was under the impression that a two letter/number combo (as seen in the picture with "Reddick" written over it), along with the different top lug was indicative of a late 1930s McCord Radiator helmet? As for the EGA, I disagree, and still believe it to be an enlisted bronze cap and hat ornament 1937-1942 / enlisted bronze cap ornament 1942-1955. In The Eagle, Globe, and Anchor 1868-1968, page 77 shows the EGA that most resembles the EGA on the helmet (see picture below) from 1937/1942 - 1942/1955. The post-1955 EGA had changes to the rope on the anchor, and elongated wings (see picture below) that the helmet-mounted EGA does not have. But I'm going off the information in this book, so I could be wrong. I know it's not a modern one, as I'm currently in the Marine Corps. Thanks!

-Preston

post-163082-0-72380100-1515382051_thumb.png

There are still a couple of possibilities in that timeframe, an initial would be ideal.

The image you show is the typical issue emblem, the one on the helmet is a bolder variant believed to be produced by H&H. Driscoll's reference was the best one for decades, however last year 2 new EGA books came out that are much, much better. Driscoll actually did the forward on Tim Klie's book. Klie's is photo-intensive, Bruier's is text intensive

Here is the P37 issue variety, as you depict...

19.1F.JPG

And here is the bolder, post-war P37 by H&H that I refer to and appears to be on your helmet. Notice the differences, specifically eagle head and wingspan, as well as the West Coast of the US.

24.1F.JPG

It's important to remember that before 55, there was no standard emblem and companies all took creative liberties with their designs.

Brig-

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. That's too bad that there is such a large number of Reddicks on the muster rolls. Is it possible to narrow it down to between 1937/1939 - 1941?

-Preston

In your timeframe, there are 4 Reddicks...

Clifford A

Dorris A

Charlie H

Uley M

You seem to be right on the helmet's being US...I know very little about helmets, my principle field is EGAs