Thoughts on P-4 Helmet For Sale

mwesson030

Hi guys,

I was looking around at helmets for sale, and I stumbled onto a P series helmet that appears to be retrofitted with APH series helmet pads, later comm cords and a newer mic. I really like this helmet, but I have serious doubts about its authenticity. The seller claims it was flown in a OV-1 mohawk, and presumably by the 225th surveillance airplane company based upon the lettering on the helmet. My main concern with this helmet is why would someone go through the trouble a retrofitting a P-4 helmet and changing it to where it is now and why it is painted white. Any thoughts on the helmet are greatly appreciated.

post-172448-0-36550100-1515116498.jpg

post-172448-0-02155900-1515116510.jpg

Aircrews have always had discretion in the gear worn to a degree. I can see a Air National Guard Unit retrofitting hand me downs. The art work could be period and it could be a former driver had it done for his book shelf. Hard to say. Have you done a search of photo's of such units with this rig?. Unless a civilian pilot doing air shows wanted a period look I don't see a reason for anyone going to the trouble of making a one off.

I looked up that name in current OV-1 Mohawk Association members and couldn't find anyone, that doesn't mean they didn't or don't exist being that is only current memebers. Id say from looking at it it might have been done post war as a souvenir. Ive never seen a P-4 used in any Mohawk pics. The first test pilot had a Bill Jack or similar style early flight helmet, other than that through the very late 50s and almost all of the 60s it was APH-5 helmets. Even the artwork on the helmet shows pretty detailed APH style helmets worn. At first I thought the art was depicting the in flight refueling probe aircraft from a 1964 test trial but then noticed there was 2 items drawn representing a set of FM Homing "Cat Whisker" antennas on the nose that Ive never seen on a OV-1 before. I believe the 225th also went to Vietnam in 1966 which Id say would make a P-4 super unlikely used that late in time with a Mohawk. Def cool artwork, as I said most likely done by the vet after serving with the unit. Interesting to see the earlier APH-5 parts used on it, even the ICS cord has the early nylon strap the APH-5A used to have. Actually looks pretty cool in my opinion with the APH parts.

I like the artwork and the thought that it might be a hand me down to someone that did not rate an APH-5. Also, what if Gabor was not a last name, but a nickname or call sign?

This is one of those...without provinance...there is no way to tell who, or when the changes were made...the interior shows very little, if any, wear..to have been worn in ops...a good job with parts

I dig the artwork...good artwork, cartoonish with detail...caricature...