The Institute of Heraldry (TIOH)

Ilin1979

I couldn't get in using Chrome or Safari.

Got message:

401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the Stein book, or if you have a motto list from Asmic., and or a downloaded motto list. If you need a lookup let me know

Matt

Ok, I couldn't help myself, so I decided to call The Institute of Heraldry just now to find out what the deal was with their website.

Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5579.
Telephone: 703-806-4970

The lady I spoke to said, yes the website has been down (she said for about a week) and they were aware of the situation. Supposedly, their tech people are working on getting the "issues" taken care of but she said they were not given a timeframe for when the website would be back up. When asked, she did say that the website should be back up at some point and that the public should be able to access it again when it is.

So, I guess we can keep checking every once and awhile to see if it's back up and whenever someone notices it, they can post it here.

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just spoke with "Jackie" at the Institute today and inquired about the Institute's website status. She advised that it might be about a month before the website is back up. She said that there are some security issues that they need to address. So, I guess it'll be awhile before I need to check again.

Personal thought/s:

It's a good thing this is not a major use website like Google or Facebook.

The Institute should probably look into hiring some more experienced Information Technology Staff.

The website is part of the Department of Defense, Pentagon, Army. You would think it shouldn't take this long to get the website back up.

Did the website get hacked?

That said, Jackie was polite, asked if there was something she could help me with, as well as wished me a good day.

Thank's az, TIOH is an important tool for a lot of us, a very helpful tool, would hate to see it taken down permanently like the Vietnam/Vietnam Era Veterans Database site.

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Good Afternoon,

The Center of Military History forwarded your inquiry to my office.

As discussed with you over the phone, at this time, our website, along with

several other HQDA websites, was deactivated due to security concerns and

is currently undergoing maintenance and security updates. As you can

image, we are not given specific details as to what happened so the

information that was provided to you at the beginning of January is what we

knew at that time. This was not a TIOH decision but centralized through the HQDA IT

Department.

However, I want to assure you that we are working diligently with the HQDA

IT Department to restore public access as quickly as possible. They have

given me a timeframe of about a month (again, estimate only as I reiterated

to you over the phone). We are aware of the inconvenience that this has

caused but we must ensure our website is compatible with all security and

USCYBERCOM standards to prevent any issues going forward.

In the meantime, we are available via e-mail at

http://[email protected]

or phone at (703) 806-0055

and are happy to accept and answer inquires at any time.

Thank you for your concern and have a great day.

Jacqueline Hack

Chief, Heraldic Services & Support Division

The Institute of Heraldry

☎: (703) 806-4970

E-mail: http://[email protected]

Original Message:

Subject: The Institute of Heraldry Website

Hello,

The Army’s Institute of Heraldry’s website http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil has been down at least since, or before, the beginning of January 2018.

On the 16th of January 2018, I decided to call The Institute of Heraldry just now to find out what the deal was with access to the website. The lady I spoke to said, yes the website has been down (she said for about a week) and they were aware of the situation. She said their tech people were working on getting the “issues” taken care of but she said they were not given a timeframe for when the website would be back up. When asked, she did say that the website should be back up at some point and that the public should be able to access it again when it is.

Today, almost a full month later on the 13th of February 2018, I called back the Institute of Heraldry and spoke with “Jackie” at the Institute and inquired about the Institute’s website status. She advised that it might be about a month before the website is back up. She said that there are some security issues that they need to address.

While I realize that this website isn’t exactly Google or Facebook, the Institute’s website is still a very important resource tool utilized by military researchers and militaria collectors alike. I don’t understand why it would take so long to get the website back up and running. Perhaps someone needs to look into the issue/s and get this resolved. For a military website to be down for this long should be unheard of.

If you have any additional information regarding The Institute’s website or comments, please get back to me. I appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
Mike34charlie

05 MAR 2018. Still down. Why would anyone target the TIOH? Not really full of State secrets.

• 1 month later...

April 11, still down. I've used this site for many years and consider it a treasure for the hobby. I've found TIOH to be very responsive to inquiries I've made and generally helpful. But I would like to make one comment about it. For 2 or 3 months before it went down, I noticed a degradation in how the information on new insignia is written. I refer to numerous errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax, and for a few items, incorrect or unofficial unit designations. It's almost as though it's been farmed out to a non-native or non-academic writer that publishes the content with little proofreading or editing.

Sorry I can't be specific about which ones exactly, but check out Recent Additions when the site comes back up. Don't get me wrong - it's not a disaster, just annoying from what ought to be an impeccable source. I hope they can up their quality to what it was before.

One more note about something else I noticed. When US Army units that are already listed on the website are redesignated, they do not necessarily list the unit in the Recent additions section, but they DO change the data sheet. An example of this are the DI's for the four Regional Medical Commands authorized in 2012. They were originally listed in the New Additions section as the Northern, Southern, Europe and Pacific Regional Medical Commands. In 2016 they were redesignated respectively as the Atlantic, Central, Europe and Pacific Regional Health Commands. The data sheets were changed to reflect the new and prior designations, but no entry was made in the Recent Additions section (because they're CHANGES, not New items?). Bottom line is that if you rely on that to pick up all redesignations, you might be missing a few.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Mike34charlie

Ok Gentlemen,

TIOH has been MIA for half a year at least. Is it time to contact the media and get some accountability?