WW2 Musette Bag At High Price?

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1942-DATED-WWII-US-ARMY-KHAKI-MUSETTE-BAG-M1936-PACK/322970111646?hash=item4b3284ce9e:g:KO8AAOSwVtZaSJIO

Am I missing something with this one? Why is it at such a high price? Is it just it being in good condition? I suspect a bidding war, but I am unsure. Is this some rare version?

Hunt

Pictures in next posts

Not a real uncommon maker.Nice condition but just someone wants it bad.Maybe its the 1942 date but the 1941 dated ones that are waterproof type material are harder to find in great condtion

Burning Hazard

That's a minty one, hard to come by since most musette are quite worn.

Similarly goes for M1944 packs, minty ones fetch big prices and are quite scarce.

My thoughts exactly. There what some call mint, and there's what would be stone mint! That's a museum quality example. If you want re enactment gear or used gear its a high price. That one is a beauty. So price is going too be higher. You just don't find this quality of gear any more... I started re enacting back in the late 70's this is the stuff we wore in the field. I guess I'm retired from that as Im too old to get out there with the 18-25 year olds now. LOL. So attrition has driven prices up too. ;) hind sight is 20/20

huntssurplus

Thanks for the insight guys! I guess I didn't realize how much a mint one is worth. Especially since I just bought one for $25.

Hunt

Gotta love this unnecessarily added sales quote, "...made popular by the use by the Paratroopers particularly in Europe during the D-Day Normandy invasion."

Gotta love this unnecessarily added sales quote, "...made popular by the use by the Paratroopers particularly in Europe during the D-Day Normandy invasion."

Too funny! Sellers never pitch them as "made popular by elementary school kids as a book bag particularly in the 50's and 60's."

stealthytyler

All it takes are 2 people where money is not an issue...if they like it, it will sell very high...and all future sellers of these bags will now think that that is what they are worth....ebay can be a crazy thing for the market

huntssurplus

All it takes are 2 people where money is not an issue...if they like it, it will sell very high...and all future sellers of these bags will now think that that is what they are worth....ebay can be a crazy thing for the market

Agreed. I think that has kind of happened with M1 Helmets. A few nice Fixed Loop front seam helmets with early liners sell pretty high and now because the average non military collector can't tell the difference a vietnam era helmet is listed at $100. It's getting harder and harder to find nice helmets at decent prices now on eBay.

Hunt

Not to hijack this thread but it's a similar topic and I don't think it requires an entire post of its own. I picked up this minty mussette bag recently. How unique is this manufacturer?

post-172800-0-45616700-1515526370_thumb.jpg

Syphers, does that have a "U.S." stamp on the flap? If it does, that's the first one made by the Powers Co. I've ever seen that is not a Marine Corps Bag.

It does have the US stamp and standard straps. Definitely not a USMC bag. Well very interesting. Add it to the list of manufacturers. Picked it up at an antique shop in CT.

post-172800-0-88785700-1515540925.jpg

huntssurplus

Wow that is in really good condition! I'm guessing it never saw combat, maybe because of the early date?

Hunt

It definitely never saw combat. Too clean and the rubberization is still stiff. But it was issued. There's a serial or laundry number stamped on the inside flap.

post-172800-0-93169000-1515542797_thumb.jpg

That's really a beauty. In my experience, Army Field Bags made by Powers are super-scarce. As I said, that's the first one I've ever seen.

I really don't agree nice bags are hard to find.Uncommon...mmm ...maybe but rare?They are out there.The early one posted is a hard find for sure.I have one very similar.Issued and used by a 390th B17 pilot.

This is interesting. I was just researching one this morning. This bag was carried in WWII by my dad. I used it in Cub Scouts in the 1950's. It's amazing it's stained but still a solid bag. I thought the tent and awning company was interesting.

post-161076-0-86042100-1516205201_thumb.jpg

post-161076-0-61684900-1516205202_thumb.jpg