Archival Display case

avigo

I have some smalls I want to display.

Specifically, I have a military metal stamp (one of the long hammer type metal stamps) that I want to display.

I was thinking of putting it on an acrylic stand inside of a glass or acrylic case.

Is acrylic truly archival?

Is there a different way that you guys would recommend doing this?

Are there other materials that are more archival? Basically I just want to make sure the surface the item is constantly touching will cause no harm to it whatsoever.

Thanks!

huntssurplus

Probably a felt pad for the item to be displayed on inside of a glass case would be best. If there are any specific stands meant for what you are looking to display then it might be good to look into those. If you wanted to hang the item and the item already has a hold in it, glue or tape some felt to a piece of cardboard and attach the item by use of a long skinny pin. Don't pierce the cardboard with the pin but just the felt. Then place the cardboard into a shadow box and hang on your wall or wherever you want to place it. That's what I did with some of my items!

Hunt

Yes, acrylic is about as archival (unlike polyester) as can be had - for display of objects.

Acrylic becomes a lot like glass, whereas polyester never fully cures.

So, I'd make sure the display mount (or however it is planned to be used) is in fact acrylic.

Probably a felt pad for the item to be displayed on inside of a glass case would be best. If there are any specific stands meant for what you are looking to display then it might be good to look into those. If you wanted to hang the item and the item already has a hold in it, glue or tape some felt to a piece of cardboard and attach the item by use of a long skinny pin. Don't pierce the cardboard with the pin but just the felt. Then place the cardboard into a shadow box and hang on your wall or wherever you want to place it. That's what I did with some of my items!

Hunt

Thanks! Ive been told felt/ velvet is not an archival was to display things. Do you know if that is true?

Yes, acrylic is about as archival (unlike polyester) as can be had - for display of objects.

Acrylic becomes a lot like glass, whereas polyester never fully cures.

So, I'd make sure the display mount (or however it is planned to be used) is in fact acrylic.

Thanks! Would regular glass be better?

huntssurplus

Thanks! Ive been told felt/ velvet is not an archival was to display things. Do you know if that is true?

I'm not sure actually. Here is a link to an article about archival materials I found. I use felt for some things but it may not be the best long term.

http://www.home-museum.com/howto/HowToArts/Materials/materials.htm

Hope it helps!

hunt

Thanks! I just want to make sure that putting a metal object on an acrylic stand won't cause any problems to the object if it is displayed like that for long periods of time