Hawley Liner Stuck in Helmet

double canister

double canister

I'm about to pick up a fixed bail M1 helmet. As a bonus, it has a Hawley liner. I haven't seen it in person yet, but current owner indicates the liner is stuck in helmet shell. I've instructed him not to try freeing the liner. Now, my question. Are there any methods of freeing such a liner? Again, I don't have helmet in hand. Pictures show that visible edges of liner are a mess.

huntssurplus

I would recommend not freeing the liner. Hawley liners are very fragile and I would tell the seller to not free it from the shell. If you really want to free it, do it yourself. I would just leave it inside. IF you really want to free it, do so very carefully slowly pulling the liner out going around the helmet. Use your fingers to pull it up out of the shell. Again do it slowly and steadily making sure not to damage it. But so not to disturb the helmet again, I would not pull out the liner...

Hunt

stealthytyler

Place the lid over an open flame to heat up the shell then spray a liberal amount of WD-40 all over the liner. Let sit for 1 hour then pry out with a screw drive.....

All joking aside, I would just leave it as is. It is not worth ruining. I have had my fair share of mishaps early on in my collecting days. I have since learned to cut my loses and enjoy the item for what it is. Once you damage it, you can't go back! Show us some photos once you receive the helmet set. Look forward to it.

double canister

As it turned out, the liner was in a really choice RS SB late war shell. Liver just slipped right out. Really, I'm very happy with liner. I wish the edges were better, yes, but I can certainly live with it.

post-75788-0-71822000-1515080028.jpg