1918 Au Lion trench knife for your review

bigred1

Hmmmm, not sure about this one.

It seems the font for the "U.S. 1918" is not correct for an Au Lion knife. For the Au Lion, the "U.S. 1918" should be centered and not shifted up as it is on this example and should be somewhat larger.

What I believe I see is a correct blade, nut, and scabbard for an Au Lion knife, assembled with a reproduction handle.

Exercise caution.

Chris

Hmmmm, not sure about this one.

It seems the font for the "U.S. 1918" is not correct for an Au Lion knife. For the Au Lion, the "U.S. 1918" should be centered and not shifted up as it is on this example and should be somewhat larger.

What I believe I see is a correct blade, nut, and scabbard for an Au Lion knife, assembled with a reproduction handle.

Exercise caution.

Chris

i didn't pay attention to the centering but i did notice that the font was somewhat off. also, the blade is at an angle with the handle.

The seller would do better with selling the parts and fake handle separately. Not implying there is any deception but buyers for such things are generally informed folks.

Something that hasn't been brought up is that Au Lion made two types of handles. Ones with grooves on the top edges of the MK1, and others w/o the groove. I also believe the font on the stamp is slightly different. Not arguing the point whether the handle is legit or not, the blade was without question correct. Based upon the first picture, hard for me to tell. Lance has more experience w/ these than me. On another note, I was informed years ago that veterans were allowed to bring home MK1 trench knives, minus the handle, I have actually seen these. So it would make sense for someone to replace it with a repro. SKIP

militariaone

Greetings all,

The knife/scabbard combo (with another repro handle) was posted in the link I shared earlier. Then, the knife/scabbard combo (sporting it's current handle) showed up for sale on that same forum. Then it (& its sales ad) was removed by the seller. Now it's on eBay. The first repro handle was a better reproduction than the one it is currently sporting. Odd to see this knife showing up repeatedly in different guises. Sure, the seller has no idea of what they are doing :rolleyes:

V/r Lance

HELLO
actually 2 sort of handle
for my 2 copies the marking is more or less well mark
it comes from the process of manufacture: sand casting seems t he

post-5657-0-41885400-1514911842_thumb.jpg

post-5657-0-32952500-1514911855_thumb.jpg

post-5657-0-15324600-1514911868_thumb.jpg

post-5657-0-74553600-1514911880_thumb.jpg

post-5657-0-34302400-1514911891_thumb.jpg

post-5657-0-36555400-1514911954.jpg

militariaone

Greetings all,

Well, the knife in question just sold for a BIN of $500.00. I believe the buyer must have viewed the 30+ watchers following the auction and misread folks gathered to watch a train-wreck with other interested buyers. The buyer pulled the trigger thinking they were going to beat the faux crowd; instead, it was they that got snookered.

V/r Lance

Lance,

Lets hope that the buyer had a loose Au Lion handle laying around for years and wants to put all the pieces to right...

Probably not though.

Been following WW1 militaria since the 1970s. There has been a definite uptick in "casual" WW1 collecting with the approach of the Centennial of the end of the war.

Unfortunately there is a lot of outright fake WW1 material on the various auctions (that a few years ago would have remained unsold lots) going for near collector prices... Somebody is getting burned.

It is my hope that many of them eventually find their way here. There aren't many better places for an honest discussion about militaria.

Chris

militariaone

Lance,

Lets hope that the buyer had a loose Au Lion handle laying around for years and wants to put all the pieces to right...

Probably not though.

Been following WW1 militaria since the 1970s. There has been a definite uptick in "casual" WW1 collecting with the approach of the Centennial of the end of the war.

Unfortunately there is a lot of outright fake WW1 material on the various auctions (that a few years ago would have remained unsold lots) going for near collector prices... Somebody is getting burned.

It is my hope that many of them eventually find their way here. There aren't many better places for an honest discussion about militaria.

Chris

I concur wholeheartedly, Chris.

V/r Lance

'Unfortunately there is a lot of outright fake WW1 material on the various auctions (that a few years ago would have remained unsold lots) going for near collector prices... Somebody is getting burned.

Chris"

I also agree with Chris and Lance. While it is very helpful for collectors to handle and examine original material it is probably more helpful to handle and discuss fakes. Knowing what is right and wrong on\\with an edged weapon (or anything else) can save us money in the long run. Buy the books, go to shows and handle items, and talk to other dealers and collectors. That is why we have this US Militaria Forum. It is meant to be a place for these discussions. We can all learn and we do learn from our mistakes.