Free French Training Patch

JasonT

Hello all and Happy New Year!

A while back I posted an Ike jacket that was named to a 100th Division vet. Link below;

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/296102-ww2-ike-jacket-help/?hl=%2Bfree+%2Bfrench

On the right sleeve is a Free French Forces Training patch. I've circled back to the jacket and am starting to do more research and request his records. However, I am curious about the Free French patch. From what I am finding online it was worn by French troops who were trained by the US during the war. Would it also be worn by the Americans that were training them? I know that this vet was WIA in December 44 so perhaps instead of going back to his combat unit he served training the Free French? I'm hoping his service record will answer that for me. How common was it for this insignia to be worn on an Ike jacket? I see the insignia for sale often, but not on any jackets or shirts, usually by itself.

Thank you!

My bet is this is nothing more than a personal affection in the manner or fashion of some solders post V-E and V-J Day wearing on the right shoulder those high command organizational patches of their higher command, to with 1st Allied Airborne Army, 3rd Army, 6th Army, Pacific Oceans Area etc etc.

I agree with patches. I believe these were sometimes added to the right shoulder as a I fought in France thing, rather than having anything to do with Free French Forces. These uniforms with the France patch on the right shoulder patch show up from time to time. They always seem to be from units that played fought the campaigns across France in 1944.

Thanks guys! He was awarded the Legion of Honor from France a few years ago, so I had thought maybe that had something to do with it. I'll put in a request with one of our fellow forum members this week for the records and maybe that will clear things up or at very least give me the info I need to fully restore the jacket.

Zemke and patches nailed it.

When found on US uniforms, it is usually on the right sleeve (have seen on right cuff). If the vet who wore the Ike in the first post was wounded (as speculated, not documented) and returned CONUS to train French forces, then his 100th ID patch would be on his right sleeve. The 100th ID did not reach the ETO until Nov 44 and the France patch was in use at least Aug 44.

It is a commonly found French Army patch, common because they were made here in the US.

The French Foreign legion wear a patch like this.

Yes, I noticed that while I was doing some quick Google research. Wonder if it's a homage to the ww2 era insignia? Or just a coincidence since its a simple design in that it's the flag with the word "France" above it in the form of a shield?

Thanks tredhed2, I totally missed/forgot the fact that it would have been the other way around as you mentioned if he spent significant time with another unit after the 100th. The 100th would be his combat patch and moved to the right sleeve.

Thank you all for clearing this up for me.

Squad leader
  • photo-thumb-1681.gif?_r=1449953470
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,681
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:13 AM

Trooper of the “5e Regiment de Chasseurs d’Afrique” (1st French armored division) wearing a US made “France” patch. This photography was taken in Southern France in August 1944.

The tank is a M3 Stuart. Since 1943, French army units had been re-equipped with American equipment, and trained in American doctrine.

post-1681-0-23825700-1405851117.jpg

Found another FRANCE patch being worn, here by an unknown French Soldier, date and place also unknown.

post-34986-0-80332800-1406172029.jpg

STALAG 13 POW.....Near Hammelburg :);)

Robert Clary...LeBeau.HOGANS HEROES ...TV series

STALAG 13 POW.....Near Hammelburg :);)

Robert Clary...LeBeau.HOGANS HEROES ...TV series

I love to throw this one in there, like I did in Patches in Action the first time, you know making believe I didn't know it's Cpl LeBeau :lol:

I love to throw this one in there, like I did in Patches in Action the first time, you know making believe I didn't know it's Cpl LeBeau :lol:

Your crafty Kev!!!

​I knew you knew who he was... ;):D

Some of the young'ins may not have tho

BILL THE PATCH

I'm sure you guys know he was a Holocaust surviver. Also a good cook according to a certain Sargeant.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk