Please don't try to bend an army officer's cap visor to prove it's a "crusher"!

MattS

I saw this ebay auction for an otherwise beautiful WW2 officer's cap and I suspect what happened was the seller wanted to sell it as a "crusher" and the 75-year old leather visor didn't play along. No antique leather item should be bent and manipulated as far as I'm concerned, and it breaks my collector's heart to see this happen over and over. I'm sure all of us here know this, but please help spread the word!

post-32676-0-02845800-1514734025_thumb.jpg

I agree, far to many times I see non crushers, being crushed. These hats are delicate and they should be treated as vintage items, not as toys.

Hunt

So true, I always hate it at shows when some uneducated swine picks up something and says I had one when I was a kid, bends it and pulls a size 7 hat on his size 10 head! You want to just slap them, then after destroying it they say...uh sorry man put it down and walk away. :blush:

I agree, especially since a vast majority of the “crushers” I see advertised are not “true” crushers in my opinion (paper thin single layer of leather with a beaded edge). Just because the double layer leather visor can bend a bit doesn’t make it a crusher!

Here's one I got a while back at an estate sale for $15!

I would think it's a real "Crusher" since he was a Bombardier during WWII.

post-163305-0-22143300-1514739595.jpg

Here's one I got a while back at an estate sale for $15!

I would think it's a real "Crusher" since he was a Bombardier during WWII.

I agree with you, just don't trying bending it in half!

For many years those who collect AAF have chosen the single layer leather with beaded edge visor, that you can crumple up and stick in your pocket, as a true "Crusher".

The double layered visor that is more flexible was used by AAF personel and given the crush look but is not considered a true "Crusher" by collectors.

There are more than one thread on this forum about this subject with pictures.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen photos of an online seller squeeze a cap like a wet chamois to illustrate that the cap is a true "crusher", yea good thinking pal.

Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

For many years those who collect AAF have chosen the single layer leather with beaded edge visor, that you can crumple up and stick in your pocket, as a true "Crusher".

The double layered visor that is more flexible was used by AAF personel and given the crush look but is not considered a true "Crusher" by collectors.

There are more than one thread on this forum about this subject with pictures.

Yes there are, and many descend into disagreements and arguments! I'd suggest that even if the cap has a single-ply thin visor, don't bend it up!