WWII Bilibid Prison US POW Medic Japanese Arm Band - Identified

gauthieb3sxz

Hey Guys,

This is currently on its way to me from Baystatemiltiaria. I was originally outbid on this when it was listed as part of a larger group of Red Cross material from an auction house that was selling someones lifelong collection of medical related items. Apparently the collector was able to get arm bands from people he knew that served in WWII and would attach little bits of info to keep the history together.

When I saw this on the site I did a quick search and found that Charles Dwyer was in fact a WWII veteran so I made the purchase. After the confirmation email came in I did a bunch more research and found that Charles Arnold Dwyer Jr. was one of the Bilibid camp surgeons for the entirety of his time in the war. He was captured in early 1942 and was liberated three years later in 1945. He can actually be seen in some of the footage of the liberation.

Originally BSM had this listed in the Japanese militaria section. It is in fact Japanese, but was the arm band that Dwyer wore in the camp. I had a Japanese translator translate the writing on the band and it is a phonetic attempt at Dwyer. This this is salty! Sadly Dwyer died in 1969 but I was able to find lots of little tidbits about his life through various databases.

Anyway, thought this was an interesting thing to post.

dscn1637t.jpg?w=700&h=

dscn1639t.jpg?w=700&h=

dscn1640t.jpg?w=672&h=504