Type 89 knee mortar brought home by US Navy vet

chils123

This Type 89 Grenade Discharger, commonly known as a “Knee Mortar”, was brought home by US Navy veteran Arthur Tonzi as a souvenir from the Pacific theater. Based on his obituary he lived in the Syracuse, NY area. The knee mortar came with 2 cases, the tan one being an original Japanese made example. The white case though appears to be a custom made case by the sailor to transport the mortar home, and his name is stenciled on it in several spots.
Using online sources I was able to find which ship Mr Tonzi served on. During the war Mr. Tonzi was stationed on the USS Limestone (IX-158), a Trefoil-class non-self propelled concrete barge. The ship was placed into US service on October 14th, 1944, and was towed to Subic Bay, in the Philippine Islands for service as a storage barge. After the war, the Limestone went on to serve in the Operation Crossroads nuclear testing as part of Joint Task Force 1, Task Unit 1.8.1 Service Group - Repair and Service Unit.
Unfortunately I couldn't find an original photo of the USS Limestone, but the included photo is of one of her sister ships.
IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

silica1-08_limestone.jpg
32861_248793-00007.jpg

I was very happy I was able to track down a bit of information on the veteran. I mainly focus on Japanese rifles, part of the reason being because of the connection with US veterans, and I very much enjoy when I can find out a bit more about the person who brought the item home.

Thank you gentlemen. It's too bad I had to demill this example, but I'd rather it be kept somewhat intact rather than destroyed forever. In Canada they don't even have to cut the holes in these things!

Absolutely gorgeous condition. The demilling is tastefully done, bravo! I've seen some hack jobs to say the least!

Thank you! I've seen some really bad jobs as well. It's nice that the ATF allows the slot to be drilled now instead of just a huge hole. The demilling instructions also just call for "an obstruction" without specifics to what it should be. I avoided the ugly bar down the tube and opted for some weld that prevents a round from being dropped in. Looks alot nicer.

I honestly did not know they had to be demilled. That's the case huh?

Yes, it's pretty silly overall. If it was registered during the 1968 amnesty it is considered a destructive device and has to be demilled. This constitutes a whole the diameter of the bore being cut into the high pressure area and an obstruction in the bore so a round cannot be dropped into it. Then it's not longer a weapon and can be displayed and owned freely. I believe once you cut a hole in it, if you live in a free state, you can technically rebuild the barrel and re register it as a new destructive device. I don't really understand what the point would be, since unlike a 1950's era dewatted machine gun you can't really fire the mortar, but to each his own. It still wouldn't be in original shape, but some prefer to not have the big hole in the side.