PTO bring back crate w/ rifle, saber, bayonet, and serialized capture papers [77th ID vet]

chils123

At the end of World War 2, thousands of GI's stationed in Japan sent home these custom made crates containing their spoils of war. This example is a particularly nice example as it contains a rifle, saber, bayonet, matching capture papers, and the original shipping crate in very good condition for something that was shipped home 70+ years ago.
It has a 30th series Toyo Kogyo Type 99, Type 32 cavalry saber, a bayonet, and the crate the items were shipped home in. It also has a set of papers with the items listed and serialized, as well as the same man listed on the crate.
The crate is addressed to:
John H Euler
Islip Terrace LI
New York
I cannot read the full writing of the return address, but I do see APO 77, which coresponds to the 77th Infantry Division. The officer who signed the capture papers, according to this website, was awarded a Silver Star and served with the same division, so that would make sense. Online searching has yielded nothing for the vet who sent the rife back himself. I will continue to search to see if I can't find a living relative or someone else who may know a bit more about his service.
I cannot tell what material the inside cover is made of, but it is very thick and not very pliable at this point.
The rifle and saber are covered in a thick cosmoline that I plan on just leaving be. Both serial numbers match the papers. It's a 30th series Type 99. The dust cover, cleaning rod, and monopod are missing. There is an indentation in the fore stock showing the pod was in place at one point. The bolt matches, which is also a very nice touch.
The bayonet does not seem to match, and I wonder if perhaps it was added later. It's also a bit more rusted and in not quite as good condition as the rest of the set. Maybe was was taken out and the rest left in the crate? Who knows for sure.
There was also a small plastic oiler in the crate too, which is Japanese in origin.
Overall it's a nice set preserved in excellent condition.

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2139.jpg
IMG_2148.jpg
IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2152.jpg
IMG_2158.jpg
IMG_2163.jpg
H4354-_L132659522.jpg

Thank you all! This is my new favorite set. A bit of research today shows that this GI was in the 305th regiment of the division. I was able to find the divisions history in a free e-book and the GI listed on the papers was in the book, as well as the commanding officer. Hopefully I can find more out about him to see if he was with the division for the whole war.