Era of these pin-back Gemsco colonel's eagles?

MattS

Difficult to tell really, that they are pin backs are on the more positive side so far, are you trying to buy them? if so does the vendor state they are WWII, or from the 50s, and are Sterling?

I bought them, waiting on them to arrive. The seller's description had them as "fire department police collar rank".

As these appear to be silver in color and not gold, I think you have a pair of Army Colonel birds, rather than police/fire insignia. The reverses will enable a better dating of them, but I sense they're 50's era.

Salvage Sailor

As these appear to be silver in color and not gold, I think you have a pair of Army Colonel birds, rather than police/fire insignia. The reverses will enable a better dating of them, but I sense they're 50's era.

The dark blue Gemsco card (with no bar code) is often 1960's. As said above, post a photo of the reverse when you receive them.

I bought them, waiting on them to arrive. The seller's description had them as "fire department police collar rank".

Ah yes, the old miss description, like the time I bought a paratrooper jump jacket for 12 bucks, it's tag said safari jacket :lol:

Ah yes, the old miss description, like the time I bought a paratrooper jump jacket for 12 bucks, it's tag said safari jacket :lol:

That was a good mistake for you!

That was a good mistake for you!

Yeah the piece wasn't that bad, had a modern replaced zipper and two or three crushed male snaps here and there on the pockets.

Well, they look like repros, unmarked and too shiny.

I thought they were at least marked GEMSCO or at the very least G22 since they were on a Gemsco card. Seems or maybe that might be the old unrelated maker insignia on original card ploy?

Un Hallmarked insignia can be tricky, but from what we've found tend to be clutch backs.

Here's a couple of topics I remember this on.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/246969-infantry-officer-collar-insignia/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235930-large-enamel-cap-rank-insignia/

Seems or maybe that might be the old unrelated maker insignia on original card ploy?

Yes. Very suspicious that insignia on a GEMSCO card are not hallmarked as such.

If these were an Ebay listing, please send #. Looking at a seller's other items can be a clue (i.e., lots of fake insignia would be a bad sign)

In the context of all his other listings, I would say these aren't "reproduction" Army insignia per se, but rather relatively recently manufactured insignia intended for the Police/FD market. (as the seller originally stated).

That could be, but in my 20 years of being a LEO, every insignia I put on my uniform was clutch-back except for my badge. I guess these are still being produced in pin-back for somebody somewhere.

That could be, but in my 20 years of being a LEO, every insignia I put on my uniform was clutch-back except for my badge. I guess these are still being produced in pin-back for somebody somewhere.

I've been a SCORPIO for many years and I can recall seeing some newer pin back insignia.