17th Infantry Shoulder Knots

Buffalo Grunt

Buffalo Grunt

These were on E-Bay several months ago and someone bought them (it wasn't me) however I wanted to ask the members of this forum is these were legit, as I've seen several variations of these for sale through the past ten years or so. May thanks in advance ..

post-3866-0-65891100-1514566886_thumb.jpg

post-3866-0-08721200-1514566899_thumb.jpg

Look okay to me however I wonder if the bullion wasn't painted gold. I have seen this before in original items that were utilized for theatrical use. To me such "enhancement" is horid and not easy to fix.

Buffalo Grunt

Thanks for the information ... I thought something looked a little off, and now that you pointed that out, that must have been it.

Many thanks ...

Look okay to me however I wonder if the bullion wasn't painted gold. I have seen this before in original items that were utilized for theatrical use. To me such "enhancement" is horid and not easy to fix.

The pictures have been photo enhanced with some software. Probably in an attempt to make the original picture look better. I think that's what makes them look "painted". Overall they look pretty good.

The pictures have been photo enhanced with some software. Probably in an attempt to make the original picture look better. I think that's what makes them look "painted". Overall they look pretty good.

I agree they're not painted and it's more about the lighting or being overexposed. There would have been some missed spots, pooling of paint in the detail, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

They look spectacular to me. Agree it's the picture -- even old gold can pick up light and look shiny in photos. I have a lot of examples of original knots, and depending on the maker, the quality of the gold and level of tarnishing varies.