1917 RPPC Postcard Stable Sgt. Reuben A. Pratt – Largest Man in the U.S.N.G.

aznation

I purchased this postcard some time back and decided to do some research on it as it was interesting.

1917 RPPC Postcard Stable Sgt. Reuben A. Pratt – Largest Man in the U.S.N.G.

Mexican Border Service Colorado US National Guard

Excellent hand written caption on the back, "Stable Sgt. Ruben A. Pratt of Colo Troop Mexican Border service 1917. The largest man in the U.S.N.G. Height 6' 9" Weight 260 lbs.."

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

In June 1916, the Colorado Guard mobilized for Mexican Border service. They were stationed on the border of Arizona, protecting the area from Pancho Villa and his army until returning home in February 1917.

War was declared against Germany on April 6, 1917, and by the beginning of August, nearly all units of the Colorado National Guard were mobilized for service in France. Colorado’s combat arms units provided replacements on the front lines as well as crucial artillery support in most of the major campaigns near the end of the war, including the Meuse Argonne campaign.

c4.jpg

> So, after being discharged from the Army, the U.S. Marine's decide to pick Reuben up for recruiting service. I couldn't find anything other than the newspaper article proving that he was officially in the Marine Corps, but I believe he was. Nothing about Marine Corp service on Fold3. Maybe someone else has other sources available that I don't.

c8.jpg

c9.jpg

c10.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hello, 

Ruben was my great great uncle. My Grandpa Pratt always called me little Rube because I am 6 foot 6! I had no idea he was in Advertising and Print- that was my first professional career until 2011 when I went into Medical Sales. 
Thank you for sharing the all these details from your find. I have some reproductions of the pics above, I remember seeing the news paper article as kid while at my grandparents in Lamar Colorado. Ironically enough, my older sister is only 5 foot so we kinda look like Ruben and Joseph. 

I don’t ever remember hearing about other relatives being as tall as Ruben and myself. I’ve always been the tallest on both sides of my family. On my moms side I have 8 other male cousins and only one comes close at 6’4’’.