2 Newest Wings

Jay V

Hi Guys

Well its been awhile since i acquired any wings and just found these two about 3 weeks ago and wanted to share them with you guys.The 1st is in my opinion an early ​Pilots Gemsco NY pilot wing.The second is a Naval wing Silver in color stamped sterling and i'm thinking early navy observer wing.Hope you guys enjoy the new additions as much as i do,Take Care Jay

post-564-0-55813300-1514509895_thumb.jpg

The navy wing may be an observer wing. I think the GEMSCO wing is not prewar, however. There are at least 3 versions of the GEMSCO wing, but I think the pie below is the pre-war version. Just my 2 cents, but the pattern you show also shows up as the base for more traditional WWII ratings which makes me think it was made during WWII.

Still, very nice wings!

post-1519-0-41204900-1514511719.jpg

Hi Jay,

As for that, in some cases you see the earlier wings with that type of "c" catch, but it isn't an absolute rule. In fact, you see more pre-war wings with barrel catches, than "C" catches I think. I think it is more related to the pattern showing up on later wings.

Again, I could be wrong, but I just suspect that this is a war-time pattern, but the line between a pre, early- or late-war wing is probably only valid for collectors, as I suspect there was a great deal of overlap.

post-1519-0-47101300-1514515459.jpg

post-1519-0-76837200-1514515466.jpg

You bet. I think I love GEMSCO wings no matter when they were made. This is kind of an elegant pattern, I think. Not terribly rare wing, but really a neat addition to any collection. cool beans!

Also, there is some good discussion to had on that silver USN pilot wing. I was waiting for someone to say it was an enlisted wing... it isn't. That particular pattern shows up in both the silver finish and the gold finish. That is a neat wing too.

I agree with Patrick,pilot wing is a second pattern Gemsco from WWII, very nice example.

Your USN is an Observer or "NAO" wing badge.

As Patrich said, no such thing as an enlisted aviator wing.

Nice finds and thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year, John