Coastal Flotilla One Advisors Patch

Bearmon

I have had this one for a while and cannot locate much on the command. Any help would be appreciated, your thoughts on the patch are always welcome.

Front

post-582-0-03912600-1514480344.jpg

Salvage Sailor

I have had this one for a while and cannot locate much on the command. Any help would be appreciated, your thoughts on the patch are always welcome.

Front

I'm thinking that's an advisors patch for the joint VNN/USN Coastal Surveillance Force and depicted on it is one of the three LST's (turned over during project Beef Up) the VNN had at that time (pre-1970) which were used as VNN surveillance and junk force Fleet command ships. VNN Coastal Flotilla One was the Patrol force and VNN Flotilla Two was the Logistical force.

Interesting excerpt "From the Rivers to the Sea" by CDR R.L. Schreadley page 77

Coastal Surveillance Center Advisor:

"I feel that the advisory effort is only about 25 percent, or less, effective. There is too much wasted talent, effort and manpower. Most coastal group advisors and headquarters personnel could be cut by 50 percent without appreciable loss of effectiveness....With our Navy sense of duty in getting the job done by any method and means, all too often we end up doing the work that should be done by the Vietnamese. This is detrimental to the advisory effort....The Vietnamese must do the job themselves and have higher standards of performance. I am impressed by those Vietnamese I have met and worked with who sincerely try to do a good job and actually do perform. I am equally appalled that the majority just want to get by, have no moral sense of duty to service and country, and will not even attempt to improve their performance....

"Fleet Command ships are sent out for patrols from Saigon with inoperative equipment....Approximately 75 percent of the Fleet Command ships have casualties that effect their operational capability, such as radars, fathometers, gyros, generators, engines and evaporators. In most cases ship's company cannot effect repairs and the casualties remain unchanged during the entire patrol....

"Commanding officers of Fleet Command ships do as they want to whether they are required to enforce regulations set by higher authority or not. For example, only one ship to my knowledge actually enforces the restricted areas and curfews set by the commanding general of I Corps....It is my impression that most advice given by the advisory effort is not desired and not heeded. The overall desire to improve to the extent required just does not exist."

LCDR Billie L. Price, end of tour report dated 26 November 1968

I'm thinking that's an advisors patch for the joint VNN/USN Coastal Surveillance Force and depicted on it is one of the three LST's (turned over during project Beef Up) the VNN had at that time (pre-1970) which were used as VNN surveillance and junk force Fleet command ships. VNN Coastal Flotilla One was the Patrol force and VNN Flotilla Two was the Logistical force.

Interesting excerpt "From the Rivers to the Sea" by CDR R.L. Schreadley page 77

Coastal Surveillance Center Advisor:

"I feel that the advisory effort is only about 25 percent, or less, effective. There is too much wasted talent, effort and manpower. Most coastal group advisors and headquarters personnel could be cut by 50 percent without appreciable loss of effectiveness....With our Navy sense of duty in getting the job done by any method and means, all too often we end up doing the work that should be done by the Vietnamese. This is detrimental to the advisory effort....The Vietnamese must do the job themselves and have higher standards of performance. I am impressed by those Vietnamese I have met and worked with who sincerely try to do a good job and actually do perform. I am equally appalled that the majority just want to get by, have no moral sense of duty to service and country, and will not even attempt to improve their performance....

"Fleet Command ships are sent out for patrols from Saigon with inoperative equipment....Approximately 75 percent of the Fleet Command ships have casualties that effect their operational capability, such as radars, fathometers, gyros, generators, engines and evaporators. In most cases ship's company cannot effect repairs and the casualties remain unchanged during the entire patrol....

"Commanding officers of Fleet Command ships do as they want to whether they are required to enforce regulations set by higher authority or not. For example, only one ship to my knowledge actually enforces the restricted areas and curfews set by the commanding general of I Corps....It is my impression that most advice given by the advisory effort is not desired and not heeded. The overall desire to improve to the extent required just does not exist."

LCDR Billie L. Price, end of tour report dated 26 November 1968

Thank you good albeit depressing information