17th AIR CAV DOOR GUNNER HELMET - GREAT ARTWORK

firefighter

Wishing I still had this one, but didn't have the space at the time.

These are old pictures of the helmet. Forgot I had them.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What was the story on that? Strange to see that on a USAF HGU-39 that once had the dual visor installed. Artwork is done where the visor housing would have been so Id imagine if anything it was done as a souvenir and not used with that artwork. Not 100 percent but I think the 39P was a post Vietnam helmet as most of them I've seen were late 70s dated and it was designed for the MBU-19 chem bio oxygen mask setup.

What was the story on that? Strange to see that on a USAF HGU-39 that once had the dual visor installed. Artwork is done where the visor housing would have been so Id imagine if anything it was done as a souvenir and not used with that artwork. Not 100 percent but I think the 39P was a post Vietnam helmet as most of them I've seen were late 70s dated and it was designed for the MBU-19 chem bio oxygen mask setup.

No real story. I bought it a long time ago. Ran out of space then sold it. No history with it. I wished I had taken pictures of the tags.But I thought it was ietnam era dated.

Great looking helmet FF. Too bad you didn't keep it. Love the graphics. Since it is a door gunner wing in front, they didn't wear or use there visors all the time. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

Very cool helmet E, too bad you dont still have it. Did you buy it from the vet or at a shop?! Wonder where it is now... :(

T - what makes you think its an HGU-39 and NOT an SPH-4? It is interesting to see the single dual visor housing on it for sure. Looks like someone painted the edge roll white also?

-Derek

THank you for the comments. Yeah wish I had kept it too. Oh well to have loved and loss. From what I remember the white around the edge was a gasket type material . Derek I bought it a Gun Show many moons ago. I think I sold it on ePay.

Since it is a door gunner wing in front, they didn't wear or use there visors all the time. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

I'm def not trying to pick an argument or anything, just pure discussion but where have you seen aircrew wearing ALSE with unauthorized modifications such as removing a visor housing? A visor is pretty important to a crewmen in an open door, not only for sun protection but also eye protection in general. Certainly would not fly at all today, I realize things were a little different back during Vietnam, I just cant recall ever seeing a aircrew member wearing a helmet missing parts. Id also think if this was actually used and they removed the visor since it wasn't used they would have removed all of it and not left one piece of it behind.

Also what do you mean by a door gunner wing? There was no qualification badge for door gunners in Vietnam, they would have had Army Aircrew wings. I will say the artwork is pretty cool but Im seriously doubting its authentic wartime done.

That helmet was designed for USAF use with the MBU-13 chemical protective mask in about 1975 or so. I wish you still had the helmet because Id ask if it had the O2 mask receiver holes drilled or one for a boom mic. I doubt it ever had a mic installed as its designed for mask use with that type of headset cable it is installed.

I have seen VN era photos of SPH-4s minus the shields and housings.These were all ground shots. Could it be a tech,just plugging in and using it as a cranial so he didn't get banged up?

I'm def not trying to pick an argument or anything, just pure discussion but where have you seen aircrew wearing ALSE with unauthorized modifications such as removing a visor housing? A visor is pretty important to a crewmen in an open door, not only for sun protection but also eye protection in general. Certainly would not fly at all today, I realize things were a little different back during Vietnam, I just cant recall ever seeing a aircrew member wearing a helmet missing parts. Id also think if this was actually used and they removed the visor since it wasn't used they would have removed all of it and not left one piece of it behind.

Also what do you mean by a door gunner wing? There was no qualification badge for door gunners in Vietnam, they would have had Army Aircrew wings. I will say the artwork is pretty cool but Im seriously doubting its authentic wartime done.

That helmet was designed for USAF use with the MBU-13 chemical protective mask in about 1975 or so. I wish you still had the helmet because Id ask if it had the O2 mask receiver holes drilled or one for a boom mic. I doubt it ever had a mic installed as its designed for mask use with that type of headset cable it is installed.

Yes, the official wings were AIRCREW but they had unofficial wings with a “G” in the center.There were quite a few unauthorized wings/badges. Wished I had taken pictures of the tag on the inside.